Author Topic: Recarded rehashes up the ying yang!  (Read 39941 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Recarded rehashes up the ying yang!
« on: February 16, 2004, 01:36 PM »
Well, I've already made the comment in several other threads that I wouldn't mind if Hasbro recarded every OT figure they ever made into this new OTC designed card that we've seen with the commtech Han, and I'd still buy 'em all again.  That said, they appear to have a pretty good start on that idea already...  So what does everyone think of all the recarded rehashes that are on the way for the OTC line?  Some of these figures will be appearing on their 3rd or 4th different cardback now...  Yikes.   :o

I copied this list from Scott, so hopefully it's got everything covered here.  Looks like at least 14 rehashes so far, in addition to the 7 figures from the Dagobah and Bespin waves:

[ ] - #04/05 - Luke Skywalker - POTJ X-Wing
[ ] - #04/06 - Luke Skywalker - Saga Jabba's Palace
[ ] - #04/07 - Han Solo - CommTECH Cantina
[ ] - #04/08 - Chewbacca - POTJ Mechanic
[ ] - #04/09 - Princess Leia - POTF2 New Likeness
[ ] - #04/10 - Darth Vader - Saga Throne Room Duel
[ ] - #04/11 - Scout Trooper- POTJ
[ ] - #04/12 - R2-D2- Saga HOF Version
[ ] - #04/13 - C-3PO - MMC Version
[ ] - #04/14 - Boba Fett - Saga Pit of Carkoon
[ ] - #04/15 - Obi-Wan - POTJ Version
[ ] - #04/16 - Stormtrooper- CommTECH
[ ] - #04/17 - Wicket- POTF2
[ ] - #04/21 - TIE Fighter Pilot

Well, bring it on!  So, is it safe to assume only the carded completists are going to be going after these rehashes?

Of course, you can add the 3 rehash vehicles into the mix as well - Millenium Falcon, X-Wing, and Tie Fighter.   :-\

Fortunately, since the rest of Hasbro's line this year is so amazing, I don't think most people will mind the plethora of rehashes coming.  As long as they keep up with the cool appropriate backdrop behind each figure, I'll be first in line to add 'em to my collection!   8)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Recarded rehashes up the ying yang!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 01:46 PM »
The only figures I'd be interested in are the Stormtrooper, Scout Trooper, and TIE Pilot. I might buy the rest for my carded collection, if the price stays at $5.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 01:50 PM »
It's going to depend entirely on what they look like on cardback.  Like Ben, I'll buy the imperials and then see after that.  

As a side note, I just got my CW animated figs from Matt x.3 and wow, those are neat.  I was planning on opening these, but now....
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 01:58 PM »
I'll obviously pick up at least a set to keep on the card. I'm hoping that Wicket will have a better paint deco than the last time around, considering he's a pretty sad piece of plastic to put on a card alone. That would be an opener. Not that I'm getting my hopes up...

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 02:13 PM »
I hope the price stays at $5 it better!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 02:23 PM »
I'm not usually a carded person, but I do like to keep the cardbacks.  That might make some of the rehashes tempting if they do end up staying at the $5 price-point.  My wife has been trying to talk me into getting rid of my boxes, cardbacks, etc. (we're running out of room for it)...and if I do it I would probably at least just keep these new OTC cardbacks, since they look pretty amazing from the pics.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 02:47 PM »
The only thing about the rehashes is that I just am simply hoping that Hasbro repacks these awesome figures that are shipping now, so they're not scarce.

I mean, I know I want lots of Antilles, TIE Pilot, and "Dutch".  I'll take Dodonna's too, as well as lots of the other figures from the other waves even, but that Antilles wave is just the pinnacle of army builders in a single case.

I hope Hasbro's not gonna saturate the market with POTJ figures nobody really wants and short us on the new stuff EVERYONE's clamoring for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 04:25 PM »
The only thing about the rehashes is that I just am simply hoping that Hasbro repacks these awesome figures that are shipping now, so they're not scarce.

Yeah, for some of the newer ones, if they wind up being tough to find, then that's definitely a good idea to keep them circulating in the market for those who may have missed out.

And of course, the few potential army builders mixed in with these rehashes will be solid sellers to everyone, and not just carded completists...

I just can't understand even more now why the HOF wave just got released though.  Totally unnecessary since a lot of these were just released a few months ago, and many more are upcoming again in the OTC...   ::)  Blech!   >:(

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 04:35 PM »
I'm fine with the "Repack" figures. I’ve learned to accept that it's a necessary evil when a collection of anything expands to this size. Once a figure reaches its apex it's no longer cost effective for a manufacturer to keep making new versions of that figure if they will see little, if any, improvement. It does however make sense if that manufacturer keeps re-releasing the "definitive" version of a figure. Now, we can endlessly debate as to whether or not any of these figures can be considered “definitive”, but that’s another thread all together.  ;)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 09:48 PM »
No matter how beautiful a card is, I'm a lose collector.  I will not by a figure that I already own just for a pretty picture.  In fact, I am quite happy by the amount of rereleases.  Because I won't buy them, I can spend my cash on the VOCT figures, and not feel bad for paying 9.99 a pop.  

I just hope all the repacks don't make finding new stuff (Dagobah, and Bespin Waves) impossible.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 01:57 PM »
I posted this in another forum, but it fits here too...

---------------

I think that the upcoming OTC re-release of some of the HoF figures will change the "most-carded" figure status...

Almost ALL of the red card figures made it to green cards, and then some of those even made it to FF cards, but most stopped there.  Now, we've got a few figures that have been carded FOUR times.  

Keep in mind this is the EXACT same figure (re-hashes don't count).

The current all-time champs???

Cantina Han:
CommTech 1999
Saga 2003
HoF 2004
OTC 2004

New Likeness Leia:
FF 1998
Saga 2003
HoF 2004
OTC 2004

Any others?

CommTech Luke is close, but they added a lightsaber for the Saga, HoF, and OTC re-releases which makes the CT versions different enough for me not to count it.

Has any one sculpt made it to FIVE different cards yet?

Jeff

ps
I'm glad Maul isn't OT.  I'll be happy that at least he won't show up again for a while...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 02:28 PM »
Commtech trooper:
Original
Builder pack
HoF
OTC
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 06:46 PM »
I'll pick up most of them since I missed a lot of them, but I feel that some of these figs shouldn't be rereleased. *Cough* Saga Figs *Cough*
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 01:11 AM »
As per my reasons above I still maintain that the Repack-mania has only just begun. Within years the line will drastically taper off, then more time will be spent on clever packaging and gimmicks than on resculpting and retooling new figures. I'm betting in the next three years years we will see at least 50% of the POTJ line alone Repacked.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 08:02 PM »
Looks like more recarded figures on tap, most of which are from the very end of the Saga run.  According to GH's Swami, these will be hitting the OTC card as well:

Lando Calrissian Skiff Guard
Darth Vader
General Madine
General Lando Calrissian
Han Solo AT-ST Driver
Princess Leia (Slave)

I wonder if that means the production on the Endor General's is going to get split fairly evenly between the Saga and OTC cards...