Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111126 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #450 on: November 29, 2010, 03:09 PM »
You will certainly get your dose of Hogwarts in the next film.  I reread all the books through Oct. and Nov. leading up to the movie release.  Considering where they split the movies I would think the next movie would start a Shell Cottage, move to Gringotts and then progress in short order to Hogsmede and Hogwarts.

As for the books vs. movie, I think you will find that the movies diverged more as the books got longer up until this point.  A major thing is that Ron gets short shrift in the movies.  Most of his insights and knowledge in the books gets pushed on Hermoine in the movies since she is the "smart one".

Since it seems that Hollywood can only remake movies these days, I envisioned what it would take to truely recreate these books as movies as I reread them.  There are places for cuts and condensation, but I think that you would either have to do two movies for most (from either book 3 or 4 on) or do Lord of the Rings directors cuts style running time for most.  At the least, I think Books 5 and 7 would require two movies each.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2010, 07:54 PM »
What's more incredible is the casting director picked eleven-twelve year olds that ended up actually being able to act later on as young adults. It will be interesting to see which ones become big stars as adults and which ones crash.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:54 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I think keeping them through 8 films is the greatest accomplishment of all.  That's gotta be unprecedented.  The dedication on the actors' part.  Really astounding.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57 PM »
I agree with Bill, I think it's an amazing commitment that all of the actors and actresses made to do these 8 films.  I think part of it may be that the adults, at least, recognized the vision in the story and wanted to be part of it.  Plus, I'm guessing that guaranteed long term work isn't bad either!  Although, I doubt you'd find too many American actors that would do the same thing.  Which I think is a testament to the dedication the British actors have.

On the topic of careers for the main three, I've wondered what they'll do after the Potter films are over.

All three of them have definitely gotten better as the films have gone on.  I think Radcliffe has the most straight forward of the three roles, even though Harry has the biggest role in the movies.  Rupert may actually be the best actor of the three, at least by a little, and due to the way the character has translated from the novels.  Emma is right there with him and those two, IMO, probably show the most range of the three.

I think Emma won't have a problem getting roles, she's hot and I'm sure a lot of jobs are going to be thrown at her just because of that.  I believe Rupert has already done one or two other things, which I haven't seen, and if he does well there's nothing to stop him from having a good career.

I think it'll take a long career of really good roles for Radcliffe to overcome his always being thought of as Harry.  He'd need a Harrison Ford type career with a lot of varied characters in different genres to do it.  Otherwise he becomes Mark Hamill, forever known for that one role, for good or for bad.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Radcliff has already broke out in a way with doing Equis on broadway.  Quite a different role for him.  Ruppert has done a few movies...I think they were all smaller films.  I think we will have to wait and see what the trio does after the last film has been released.  Regardless, they are all set for life.  With all the rumors that one or more were thinking of quitting, I bet they are happy they stuck with it at this point.  I am even more impressed with the fact that so few actors were changed throughout the films.  Dumbledore is the biggest one, but that couldn't have been helped.  The only casting change I can think of in this movie was Hermoine's parents who had a brief appearance in Chamber of Secrets.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2010, 11:08 AM »
 I am even more impressed with the fact that so few actors were changed throughout the films.  Dumbledore is the biggest one, but that couldn't have been helped.  The only casting change I can think of in this movie was Hermoine's parents who had a brief appearance in Chamber of Secrets.

Help me out here but wasn't the Young Tom Riddle two different actors as well?  The one from Chamber of Secrets should have been nearly the same age as the one in Slughorn's memory.  

EDIT:  I just chedked IMBD and they were in fact different actors from the Chamber of Secrets and Half Blood Prince.  I suppose there could have been an age difference between the two Tom Riddle's but I still think they'd be nearly the same "age" in both memories/incarnations.  Of course since the movies were 6 years apart it may not have been practical to try and use the same actor again.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:24 AM by BrentS »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I was reading the beginning of this thread where Azkaban  was just being released.  At the time we were wondering if would happen if any of the big three left...good times

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2010, 01:14 PM »
 I am even more impressed with the fact that so few actors were changed throughout the films.  Dumbledore is the biggest one, but that couldn't have been helped.  The only casting change I can think of in this movie was Hermoine's parents who had a brief appearance in Chamber of Secrets.

Help me out here but wasn't the Young Tom Riddle two different actors as well?  The one from Chamber of Secrets should have been nearly the same age as the one in Slughorn's memory.  

EDIT:  I just chedked IMBD and they were in fact different actors from the Chamber of Secrets and Half Blood Prince.  I suppose there could have been an age difference between the two Tom Riddle's but I still think they'd be nearly the same "age" in both memories/incarnations.  Of course since the movies were 6 years apart it may not have been practical to try and use the same actor again.

That is true, but as you said, it was quite hard to keep the same actor.  I think it works fine since I believe the HBP Riddle memory occurs before he created the diary horcrux and thus the Riddle we see in Chamber would be older than the one we see in HBP.  As for the overall series, the vast majority of the adult actors played the same roles throughout.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #458 on: November 30, 2010, 02:34 PM »
I'm still pissed that Richard Harris quit playing Dumbledore.   >:(
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #459 on: November 30, 2010, 02:38 PM »
"Quit" as in "died"?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #460 on: November 30, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Whatever his excuse was, yeah.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 1, 2010, 12:48 AM »
It's ok. He had a good excuse.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 7, 2010, 10:18 AM »
I am even more impressed with the fact that so few actors were changed throughout the films.  Dumbledore is the biggest one, but that couldn't have been helped.  The only casting change I can think of in this movie was Hermoine's parents who had a brief appearance in Chamber of Secrets.

yes...that's the most impressive part to me.  That the main characters stayed on is one thing, but they managed to keep even the most minor characters on board...even those who have no speaking parts worth noting and are just window dressing for the most part.  Is there an oscar for human resources?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 7, 2010, 10:56 AM »
If you watch closely, you see the same student extras in each movie even if they don't say anything.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 7, 2010, 12:47 PM »
If you watch closely, you see the same student extras in each movie even if they don't say anything.

I've noticed that as well, pretty cool.  I agree though, overall just so impressive that they've kept basically the entire cast together for 8 movies.  Even more impressive when it is kids in so many of the main roles.  As much as I am looking forward to the big finale next summer, it will be somewhat bittersweet - much like when ROTS hit - in that it will be "over".