Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191849 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #525 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Hmmm. That's a tough one. On one hand you seem to have clearly stated what the auction was, but on the other hand it's bad to have a dissatisfied customer. It depends how much money we're talking here. Can we see the auction?

I don't see why not... - for the record, I misspoke earlier, this auction was for a left shoe... "Left Shoe Sample Only" is what I said.

I had 6 total shoes, and on the four that didn't get bought early I added a note with 3 or 4 days to go that said "I've gotten a few questions, so I want to re-iterate that this auction is not for a pair of shoes. It is for one sample shoe (right shoe) - auction is for collectors or people looking to replace one shoe."

So, I don't anticipate any problems with those... but I could see people who just look at the photo, assume that no one would ever sell just one shoe, and bidding without thinking twice.

I'm not terribly worried about it I suppose.  It was $40 and I ate about $3 on the shipping ($6 didn't cover it).  Over the years I've gotten 3, maybe 4 negative feedbacks and every single time it was from inexperienced dolt over-reacting or mis-understanding something and just leaving feedback.   

It's hard for me to see how eBay could side with the buyer if they do end up opening a case. The item description was clear and obvious, you had pictures, and it clearly stated "No refunds".

"I do not want this item don't like" is not likely to be considered a compelling reason to rule in his favor.

He can't really complain that the item is "signifcantly not as described" either which is the usual ploy. They will be able to review the communication history and determine this was just buyer remorse.

The only wrinkle would be if he does send it back to you. Not sure if/how that impact the ruling. They might actually ask you to re-ship it, but I don't see how they could force you.

That's my thinking too, that he shot himself in the foot (yuck yuck) by starting the conversation off about how he didn't like the item. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:37 AM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 20, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Well I would side with you (and you know how much it pains me to say that) if I were at eBay and someone opened a case.

So if he passes the baton to eBay and puts in a claim, don't run from your position, you went the extra mile with your description so just stay in the race until you cross the finish line.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 20, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Thanks.  That's where I'm at as well... hopefully I just don't hear from this guy again.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Well, that guy never wrote me back (because he was dead wrong), but another one has.  And this one isn't going away quietly.  Despite the auction saying:"

- Right Running Shoe Size W 7 (Auction Title)
- Right Running Shoe - Size Women's 7
- Right Shoe Sample Only.

And featuring a note added with four days to go:

I've gotten a few questions, so I want to re-iterate that this auction is not for a pair of shoes. It is for one sample shoe (right shoe) - auction is for collectors or people looking to replace one shoe.

And despite my clear no returns and no exchanges policy at the top of the auction, this one is going to open a case and insists that they're sending the shoe back tomorrow even though I've told them three times not to.  Apparently people are freaking morons on eBay.

So, get your bets in now... will eBay side with this guy:

"I'm sorry too I did not read it well or I misunderstood. I hope you will consider for me to return the shoe because I do not really need it.I will return it to you as soon as possible.Thank you and I hope you understand."

"Well I told you I do not need it and I DON'T SELL IN EBAY. I understand what you have stated in your policy no return no exchange but it can always be reversible because it is covered by ebay buyer protection. You will expect the returned item not later this week and I will provide you the tracking number. Thank you."

"Besides as a seller you do not implement no return nor exchanges policy because wherever you go there is always returns and exchanges specially if customer is not satisfied with the product,is defective or there is confusion in your listing. It supposed to be stated in the item's ad..ONE PIECE SHOE/WITHOUT A PAIR. not RIGHT RUNNING SHOE."

"I will provide you the tracking number as I've said. In this situation it is my right to open a case in ebay. Will send the soe within this week. Thanks!"

Or no?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #529 on: August 21, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Better side with you...  He seems to have a bit of an issue with English there, so I can understand if he's confused, but his confusion isn't your problem.  **** him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 21, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I offered them a 50% refund because they won't stop emailing me.  We'll see if they take it or not.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #531 on: August 21, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I'd have fought it out I guess...  But that's me.  He's a knob either way.  By all means post his Ebay ID here for us.  :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Oh man, that is painful...what a weakener. I DREAD any buyers like that winning one of my auctions.

I think you are clearly in the right here, but I also know how ridiculously slanted eBay is towards the buyer in most disputes.

I could see them possibly refunding him but not taking the money away from you either. I believe I have heard of them eating it like that in the past. One can hope anyway.

I hope it works out! You need a hilarious moron-proof disclaimer in the future auctions. ("THIS IS FOR ONE (1) SHOE! UNO! NOT a pair. Please contact me if you need help understanding how many 1 is. Spoiler alert: It's less than 2.")

;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:57 AM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 21, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Write "return to sender" on the box if you get it and pull the money out of any account where it can be taken from you.

And post his ebay Id so we can all take turns bidding on his auctions and ask how many shoes come with it.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Write "return to sender" on the box if you get it and pull the money out of any account where it can be taken from you.

And post his ebay Id so we can all take turns bidding on his auctions and ask how many shoes come with it.

I'd love to, the only problem is that eBay makes all sellers have a credit card on file these days, and they make you accept terms on an agreement that says that they can charge your card for refunds to buyers as they see fit.  I find that despicable, but if they side with the seller, there's not much I can do about it other than dispute the charge with the credit card company.  It really has turned to **** over the last few years, and if I end up getting screwed here, it'll be the last time I sell there.

Out of 6 of these auctions, I've gotten FOUR people asking me where the other shoe is, ******* knuckleheads every last one of them.  Two of them haven't replied to my explanation of the details, two have made a stink about it.  The two that did, I've offered 50% refunds just to hopefully avoid negative feedback, but the whole thing is idiotic.

I hope it works out! You need a hilarious moron-proof disclaimer in the future auctions. ("THIS IS FOR ONE (1) SHOE! UNO! NOT a pair. Please contact me if you need help understanding how many 1 is. Spoiler alert: It's less than 2.")

;)

As funny as that sounds, I'm pretty much going to have to do that on the re-lists... the opening line will be PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS CAREFULLY and then I'll be even more shockingly redundant.  There were plenty of closed auctions for single sample shoes so I assumed this was relatively straightforward but as luck would have it, there are an awful lot of idiots who buy shoes on eBay.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:50 PM by Rob »

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Apologies if I missed this Rob, but did anyone actually ask if was a pair or individual shoe DURING the auction? I really don't envy your position, as it seems like you're getting to deal with everything I despise all at once: people complaining but not following up, people not reading, and just general stubbornness. I hope the issues get resolved in your favor.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Yep, one person emailed me to confirm and said that they were looking for pairs - and after getting that email I added the note to the auctions being overly redundant and clear.  That was with about four days to go.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24 AM »
It's probably a case of buying something (or bidding on) that they see (your sample picture) without reading the description, which is their own problem, not yours.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48 AM »
But  as Rob pointed out, ebay is totally skewed toward buyers in these cases.

The buyers are what keep ebay in the money, and Ebay has no interest in actually mediating disputes. Thatwould take time, manpower, and they would still end up with buyers feeling they should take their money elsewhere, which is exactly what ebay wants to avoid. They will let sellers eat it everytime, because it is a single sale. That inept bidder may go on to complete many more successful transactions if they are kept happy.

Despite no return policies, ebay can hold the funds via paypal, or charge the credit card on file, so sellers have no recourse to not return the funds.

I side with you Rob, but I would bet nearly anything ebay sides with the buyer.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #539 on: August 22, 2013, 09:27 AM »
What's the profit margin for single sample shoes on eBay?  Seems like a lot of hassle.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj