Author Topic: Dusty Trail Toys new "Wild West" Line  (Read 15521 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Dusty Trail Toys new "Wild West" Line
« on: December 18, 2004, 10:48 AM »
In either Lee's or Tomarts  I noticed that Dusty Trail Toys has a line planned for 2005 that is going to be 3 3/4 in Wild West Figures.  I am probably the only one on a Sci Fi board that is not only looking forward to this, but has taken the time to do up a dream list.  Just in case there is another fan of the American Frontier West I'll post it here.

So far they have listed/pictured:

A stage coach with 2 running horses, a driver and guy riding "shotgun"...no pics of the guys, but the Coach and Horses look good.

A Gatling Gun
A Cannon
A Tombstone inspired "Cowboy" almost like Curly Bill
A "Doc Holliday" looking figure
A "Wyatt Earp" looking Marshall
A Mexican Vaquero nice big sombrero on this guy.

They seem to have articulation in the Knees, waist, Elbows, wrists, neck but you know how Prototypes are...

So that is what is listed.  I'd give up all my pre OTC figures if this line would take off.  I was always a Cowboy as a kid growing up (until Star Wars came along)

Here is my WISH/WANT list:

a "Dude"...city dweller in the frontier with the bowler and suit (very Sheriff Behan if you've seen Tombstone)

a Cavalry Soldier with horse
a Cavalry Officer with horse (not just Yellow Hair Custer)
a Cavalry Soldier (Buffalo Soldier) with horse  (no matter what line I collect Army Building always has a place)

Apache indian (but not just Geronimo,but generic Braves too)
Sioux Indian  (not just Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull but Braves)

The rest of the OK Corral Guys to include: Virgil, Morgan and some Clantons and McLaurys

A Texas Cowboy
A Northern Plains Cowboy (yes there is a difference and both need Horses and a couple of "Doggies" to round up)

A Texas Ranger (but not Walker or Nolan Ryan)

A Pony Express Rider

Buffalo Bill

Bartender

If they Do a Prairie Schooner,  I assume it would come with a Sod buster family

Maybe the James-Younger Gang but I don't know how long a span they are using, the magazine article mentioned 1880's....

Saloon Girls...Fan Boys LOVE Saloon Girls

Oh well I am sure there are more  I could list, but this is a start.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 10:56 AM by pmundheim »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Dusty Trail Toys new "Wild West" Line
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 03:40 AM »
The only one?  Hah!

I scoff at you Paul!  :)

Actually, I'd dig outlaws as a sub-series...

-Billy the Kid...  Hell, even a series of "Young Guns" that fleshes out the other "regulators".

-My namesake...  Jesse James.  I'd dig a younger version when he was doing a lotta his work, and an older version when he was shot.

-Cole & Frank Younger
-Frank James
-Arkansas Dave Routabah

I'd love some Native American figures too...  Much needed, much appreciated if they're accurate.

If I can get this toy mag they're pictured in, I'll see what I can dig up and post here Paul. 

If it's in the Star Wars scale, has great features like removable hats/headgear and working holsters (ala the old Butch & Sundance and Lone Ranger lines), then I'm all over this line...  Articulation sounds good already.

I just hope it's accurate and realistic...  Even if it isn't using names.

I'd dig it if they delved into Civil War too...  Take the extra step and start cranking out figures from one of the most popular eras in American history.  I think that line would take off like a rocket given the already HUGE market they have going for it.  Toy Soldier fans would eat that alive...  They say 1:6 ventures into the Civil War era are HUGELY successful.

I'm jonesin' for more already.

Hell, I want a Custer figure to make as a Star Wars custom...  Have him surrounded by indigenous, hostile, aliens.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 12:13 PM »
Lee's Toy Review, Issue #146 Dec 2004 Page 37.

I'm not sure if they are going to use the real names, I was just trying to give descriptions that people would be able recognize.

The "Doc Holliday" even has a tin cup.

And the 4 figures I've seen pics of look accurate, but it is one photo.

I remember Butch and Sundance...I even had the War Wagon, but was dissappointed about the molded in Gunner.

I still have my Legend of the Lone Ranger figs.  I had/have extra horses from the Zorro Line so that not everybody is riding Scout and Smoke.

I think there would be several good variations of your namesake.  Early Early when he was still a "Raider", with Colt 1860 Army's and the bib-style emboridered shirt, the Outlaw Years with a Long Coat (I guess that is more Northfield days) and then the Later years.

I also think if they opened up the Civil War door, it would be awesome.

But you hold the key in the phrase "If they are accurate"...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 12:31 PM »
Civil War troops would be pretty cool indeed. I've yet to see any Series 3 pics, but it sounds pretty nice.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:33 PM »
I'd like to see ANY pics.  You guys got any scanners? :)

Civil War...  Could you guys imagine?

LA Tiger ZOuaves,
NY Zouaves
Federal Sharpshooters
PA soldiers (I'd dig that)
Maine Troops
NY Irish Brigade Troops
Confdederate regulars
Cavalry
Artillery
Navy (How cool would some federal seamen look?)

Maybe figures of Grant, Lee, Stuart, Jackson, McLellan, Sherman, Burnside, Pickett...

Hell I'd take a Lincoln and Davis even...  A John Wilkes Booth...  I'd be all over that era like white on rice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 09:39 PM »
The Cannon definately begs for  a crew.  I don't know ACW like I do WWII or Nam, but it looks like a Medium sized gun, bigger than a Napoleon.  I can even see a Caison (sp?) in the background of one pic.

I have a scanner at the office, I'll see what I can do either tomorrow or Tues.

The gatling gun looks cool too.
But I don't know how big the crew is for one of those.

If they don't do ACW, the customs possiblities would be there if they made weapons from an early enough period.  If they do a Wild Bill Hicock, he SHOULD come with 2 1851 Navy Revolvers....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 10:36 PM »
Gatling Crews were similar to cannon crews in #'s.

I just hope they do these figures justice.

Do pieces look removable on them?  Working holsters and things?

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:37 AM »
I can go for these If done well in 1/18 scale, mostly for the potential custom fodder, but also for my fondness for the Old West. And of course, just as I type that, the only two people I can think of are Sitting Bull and Custer. And Annie Oakley.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 01:39 AM »
In old west attire I'd dig lots of Indians, lots of generic Cowboys and gunslingers...

Tons of great ideas, it's just hard to think of them off-hand.

I think Wyatt Earp and DOc Holiday and a "Cowboy" are good starters though...  Generic Stagecoach team are good too.

Power Team Elite make a great horse that's articulated...  If they take that concept and run with it, ti could be a truly impressive line.

I'm looking at it for fodder too though Idej...  Too easy not to.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 08:36 AM »
Ok, I'm just going to have to scan the page in....but yes to working holsters.  I can't tell on the removable hats thing.  From what I can tell NO to removable belts.  But the Head Sculpts look really good  and yes the guys that custom would love them, assuming facial hair is a good thing in your custom world.

And don't forget the Mexican "Vaquero" who looks very much like a "Bandito" but I am sure will not be called that.  Big Sombrero and a Bandolier

As far as the personal weaponsl goes  from the Photos I can see:

Colt Single Actions (but not the big Wyatt Earp Ned Buntline Barrel, the shorter medium sized barrel)
Double Barrel Shotgun (short Coach gun Barrel)
Winchester 1873

I've seen the PTE Horses recently, they are a good start.  The Horses shown for the Stagecoach look to be pre-posed in a full gaited run.  But the write up says it will come with 4 Horses. 

Since we are fans of other lines, we all know that the majority of the figures end up being "Personality" figures, I just hope the line does well enough to get them to the point that they will make some generic townsfolk/pioneers type.

The one thing I have observed about Dusty Trail is that they will do a variant or two (like the Pirate Captain in the 7 inch line).

Do you think it would be too much like stalking if I wrote them and email and told them I wanted to go ahead and order a case.  Or at least find out where I can buy them...I just think these will get limited space in magazines/websites because the women don't wear spandex, and the only media to support them are History Books and who reads those...

ok as the wish list grows:
Bat Masterson
The Dalton Boys (Emmit, Grat, Bob)
John Wesley Hardin (if for no other reason to get some interesting six-guns)
Nat Love (I would have put Bill Picket, but he is more 1895-1900's)

Indian Scouts ( the Apache look the best with their pants, loin cloth and Blue Coat)

and here is one I am not sure of in our politically correct world:
Chinese Railroad worker, everybody knows it was their sweat and toil that laid the rails, I just don't know if it would be perceived as an Oppression or an Homage.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 10:33 AM »
I'd love to see some pictures of this! Oh if it could only be expanded into the US Civil War! A Sumter playset would own and some SC militia men would be great.

Maybe it could be expanded into the Great War? :D
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 01:00 AM »
I must see these...  The more I hear, the better.

Working holsters, but non-removable headgear, is a disappointment.  :(  I'm hoping the hat's are just really snugly sculpted so they look like they're seamless.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 07:37 AM »
Now don't get me wrong the hat might come off, but from the photos I can't tell.

Jesse, I am scanning them in when I get to the office, how can I get them to you (or anybody that can post them here)?

oh and I went total "fan-boy" and emailed the company about the line. I felt like a stalker....I guess if I had not been wearing my period correct Cowboy hat when I was typing, it wouldn't have been so bad.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:43 AM by pmundheim »

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 07:05 PM »
I really want to see these, too. Post the pics already.  :)

Removeable head ware or lack of is important for me to buy more than just a handful.

Unless the Chinese worker is buck-toothed, chopsticks at the ready, and in a mid-action martial arts pose, I can't imagine a problem with their inclusion. It would be historical inaccuracy by omission without a sampling.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Alright lets see if I did this right....  after blowing the pictures up, it looks like the Hats are removable.

If anybody wants bigger photos let me know, photobucket shrank them from the size I had saved them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:56 PM by pmundheim »