Author Topic: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)  (Read 49003 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 01:32 AM »
Uh, shouldnt it be Asajj and Maul in the Jedi Vs. Sith?

Doy...

Kevin

Yeah, both EE and Alliance descriptions are different than the pictures.

I guess "subject to change" is particularly important here.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 09:47 AM »
Too bad there isn't an OT 5-pack so we could get Cantina Han, Mechanic Chewie, Slave Leia, PotJ Ben, and CommTech Luke again too...   ::)

Well, there IS an OT set...

Looks like:
Chewie - ??
Stormtrooper - CommTech?
Vader - ??
Luke - Saga Throne Roon
Han - Saga Endor

Filled full of re-packs, but at least it's a GOOD sign that the OT won't be totally forgotten this year...  ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 10:10 AM »
If that's what we're gonna get for the Classics though, I sorta wish it had been.

The Death Star duel Vader and LUke?  You gotta be ******** me!?

And that Commtech Stormtrooper needs to be retired.  I'd say the same of that Chewbacca sculpt too since VOTC exists for both those figures.  The Han looks like POTJ Bespin Capture with really widely spread legs for some reason.  That's sorta goofy... 

Color me unimpressed with that.  That first set with Assajj Ventress intrigued me some but this is blech.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Actually - it is that stupid quick-draw Han Solo figure. The Vader is definitely the light-saber throwing piece of garbage and the Luke is the over-head swing Luke that just like the other two - the action feature NEVER worked right.

*ugh* I almost wish they weren't even releasing this set. In fact, I almost wish they weren't releasing ANY of these sets.

The TRU sets when they first started USED to be GOOD. Imperial Forces, Bounty Hunters (for Aurra's bike), Hoth (split belly Tauntaun) -- heck for the accessory alone and some extra Jedi for dioramas the Jedi 4-pack with the detention device was pretty good and the two OTC sets Endor Ambush and Naboo Conflict were both making up for the turd of the Jabba Skiff Guard set.

I know these aren't exclusives to TRU (at least I don't think they are), but I'm getting the feeling that these battle packs are just the old TRU four-pack w/huge accessory concept except they removed the huge accessory and replaced it with a fifth figure. Unless they kit-bash a couple of the figures in each set to make them "new" - I'm going to be very tempted to pass on getting these - minimally, I'll only get one to have the packaging variant - and I normally get two of EVERYTHING
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 11:01 AM »
Yikes...this could be a good idea, if executed properly, but it of course doesn't look to be the case.  It is nice to see some OT product coming this year, but they really chose poorly for the figures included in this set.  That Luke figure is terrible, the Vader isn't anything great, and that Han is one of the worst we've seen for awhile too.  I'd still really like to see a new, neutral, articulated Han Endor with Trenchcoat...but that is besides the point :).  Either way, the figure choices don't look real inspired for this set.  If they have to use rehashes, at least use good ones.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 11:12 AM »
Yikes...this could be a good idea, if executed properly, but it of course doesn't look to be the case.  It is nice to see some OT product coming this year, but they really chose poorly for the figures included in this set.  That Luke figure is terrible, the Vader isn't anything great, and that Han is one of the worst we've seen for awhile too.  I'd still really like to see a new, neutral, articulated Han Endor with Trenchcoat...but that is besides the point :).  Either way, the figure choices don't look real inspired for this set.  If they have to use rehashes, at least use good ones.

I would definitely be all for this concept if say for example each set re-packaged one or two VOTC figure and then the rest were new figures of the same calibur of VOTC. For example - you could have the OT set be:
VOTC Chewie
VOTC Stormtrooper w/Battle Damage
VOTC Darth Vader
NEW SA Jedi Luke
Retooled VOTC Han w/brown pants and cloth trenchcoat.

For the Jedi vs. Sith set you could simply include
SA Maul
SA Ventress
SA Qui-Gon
SA Obi-Wan
SA Anakin

For the Jedi vs. Separatists set you could have
SA Dooku
SA Mace Windu
Repack of ROTS Yoda
Repack of Durge on Speederbike
VOTC Boba Fett repainted to be Jango Fett

I wouldn't care if they charged $45 - $50 for these if that's how they were going to do them....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 11:16 AM »
You got better eyes than I do.  I thought that was Bespin Capture Han, but those legs did look goofily spread apart.  You're right, that's definitely some Endor Raid Han there. 

Holy ****.  I can still get that for like $1 or $2 at KB right now.  I'm in some kind of "Are they this challenged!?" shock right now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Good heavens. Pass.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 03:21 PM »
The Chewie is the Cloud City version with a crossbow. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 1, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Are you sure it's the SAGA Cloud City Chewbacca?  It looks more like the ROTS Chewbacca to me...

The OTC set really sucks... this is just straight up horse-sh!t.

As for retailers... sorry if I missed it, but who is going to have these?  Looks like TRU exlusives or something.

For $20, I can live with it.  Except for the OTC one... they need to really make some serious changes with that set, and here's how I would do it -

Vader - make it the VOTC version w/ removable helmet
Luke - make it the SAGA Jabba's Palace version w/ a black right hand
Chewbacca - VOTC w/ the ROTS head
Han - VOTC w/ Endor colored pants and vest
Stormtrooper - VOTC version

This would be a hot set if they just did it right!

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: April 8, 2005, 11:23 AM »
Australia Toy Fair 2005 is this week and the guys at MouseDroid have got a few great pictures:

Head on over and take a look!

AUSTRALIAN TOY FAIR 2005

More pictures of Yavin 4 Anakin and the rest of the Battle Pack figures...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 8, 2005, 11:41 AM »
Although the other two sets pictured in the background look "teh suck", part of me wants this one pack just for the Obi-Wan figure, even though it isn't overly spectacular.  ::)  They could have done a much better job with this, instead of cobbling something together.  Sadly, the OT-themed one looks really craptastic (as we have seen from the other picture a couple weeks back)...Throne Room Luke and Vader?  Yikes.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2005, 02:07 PM by mosnab »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Battle Pack Discussions
« Reply #27 on: April 8, 2005, 01:52 PM »
Is that Obi-Wan in clone armor?  Looks like it, those Anakin also LOOK nice, but we'll see what the execution is like

Yeah, Obi-Wan with Clone Armor is in the Jedi vs. Separatist Battle Pack.  And, yes, his "amor" is ugly.   :(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 8, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Ughhh, there a far better choices that could've been made here...

A cool ESB theme should include:

-Stormtrooper (commtech, VOTC too expensive for Hasbro)
-Vader (the good one from OTC?)
-Han Bespin (from POTJ)
-Boba Fett (300th)
-Chewie (Saga rehit)

Nobody wants that lumber chopping Luke - give us the soft goods Jedi Luke.

I've always wanted a Bespin dinner diorama set - I know it doesn't fit into a five pack, but it would make a good $35-40 set.

Make it like the trash compactor set - two separate sets, each set has one half of the table!  Blister pack Han's rifle in mid air - that would be cool.

:-X

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: "Evolutions" assortment...
« Reply #29 on: April 8, 2005, 02:06 PM »
Yeah, definitely not as cool as they could have made this.  Good point earlier that this figure should have been done (although differently) in the original Clone Wars line.  I'm just afraid this will be the only version we get now.  I personally wouldn't mind seeing this figure in the Animated Clone Wars line, but I know not everyone is overly crazy about that line too.  This does kind of just look "slapped together" though, and could have been much nicer.  I don't think the fact that they are just making "some version" of Obi in Armor is enough for me to pay for this whole set, unless it really looks better later on for some reason.