Author Topic: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)  (Read 49002 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2005, 01:33 AM »
Swap those 501st clones out for Super Articulated Clones, and make it 4 of those and an Anakin, but a nice one, with a removable hood, and I'd buy a few dozen of them.

As it stands - I'm completely uninterested in the Jedi Assault set and will patiently wait for an SA 501st clone taht I can army build sometime down the road...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Jedi Temple - I'll buy - ... but I don't remember seeing any Clone Pilots back at the temple... I wish all 5 of the figures were clones.

Hoth - Won't buy - ... because POTF2 is junk...

Jedi/Sith - Won't buy - The only thing I wanted from this pack was a decent Obi-Wan with Clone Armor, and they didn't deliver. So, no buy.

Rebel/Empire - Won't buy - I guess its a good way to get the main OT people out on shelves, though...

Search for Yoda - I'll buy - Sounds like a good set already...

Utapau - Undecided - I am willing to bet that Hasbro packs in the same damn Preview Grievous and the first Obi-Wan with 3 repaint clones.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2005, 12:47 PM »
Depressing this is...
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2005, 01:28 PM »
As expected, here's my cynical and pessimistic prediction:

1.  Battle Pack 1 ships to retail in a case by itself.  These sell moderately well, and retailers reorder the next case in twice the amount they ordered the first.

2.  Battle Packs 2 and 3 ship to retail in a case that also includes another Battle Pack 1.  After initial sales to carded/boxed completists, the Battle Packs begin to sit.

3.  Battle Pack 4 (the Hoth pack) ships to retail in a case that also includes more of Battle Pack 3 (the OT one, which will be the worst selling one of the initial three, IMO), and due to the lackluster figure selection of the Hoth set, and the increasing glut of the OT set, the fourth case assortment never makes it to retail.

4.  Hasbro cancels the fifth Battle Pack (the one that everyone wants out of the five anyway; once again, Hasbro wastes the best for last) citing lack of retail support and/or collector interest, and three years from now, they finally release the 501st Clone as a single carded figure in the regular action figure line.

I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm not going to touch the first four Battle Packs with a ten foot pole (damn you Lisa and your restraining order!  I shall burn an effigy of you with the school bullies!), and the fifth is the only one that I'm at all interested in.  Naturally, it will be the most difficult to find of them all.

This sums the whole battle pack line up in a nutshell.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2005, 02:10 PM »
How about an imperial Throne Room set:

From GH:

"Imperial Throne Room featuring:
          Two Emperor's Royal Guards (2003 Saga versions)
          Emperor Palpatine (2003 Saga version)
          Stormtrooper (Commtech version)
          and Imperial Dignitary Kren Blista-Vanee"

Yes, yes, more details and pictures will surface this week at SDCC!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Jedi Temple - I'll buy - ... but I don't remember seeing any Clone Pilots back at the temple... I wish all 5 of the figures were clones.

Hoth - Won't buy - ... because POTF2 is junk...

Jedi/Sith - Won't buy - The only thing I wanted from this pack was a decent Obi-Wan with Clone Armor, and they didn't deliver. So, no buy.

Rebel/Empire - Won't buy - I guess its a good way to get the main OT people out on shelves, though...

Search for Yoda - I'll buy - Sounds like a good set already...

Utapau - Undecided - I am willing to bet that Hasbro packs in the same damn Preview Grievous and the first Obi-Wan with 3 repaint clones.

The Search for Yoda set is just the three static clone troopers from the deluxe 3 packs - painted red.

The Utopia set is the same thing as the Yoda set....but lemon flavor.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2005, 02:15 PM »
How about an imperial Throne Room set:

From GH:

Yes, yes, more details and pictures will surface this week at SDCC!

Jeff

Are they kidding!!??

Nobody wants the Saga royal guards, commtech stormie or that Dignitary guy (clearance fodder 2 years ago)!

Jesus, if you're going to repack figures - at least give us the "in-demand" ones!

ROTS guards and VOTC stormies would've been okay in my book.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2005, 02:21 PM »
I think ruiner is exactly right.  If they insist on doing these "Battle Packs", at least put a little more effort into them.  If they are going to use repacks, they could have done us (and themselves) a favor and in this situation used the VOTC Stormtroopers and ROTS Royal Guards and it would have sold quite well.  Once again, it seems so simple...and yet.....;).

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2005, 02:24 PM »
I may get that Throne Room one since I have none of those figures. Sadly, that's still the best OT set we've gotten so far. :-\

I'm still waiting for the Battle pack with Commtech Han. I know Hasbro still has MILLIONS of those lying around! ::)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2005, 02:26 PM »
I may get that Throne Room one since I have none of those figures. Sadly, that's still the best OT set we've gotten so far. :-\

I'm still waiting for the Battle pack with Commtech Han. I know Hasbro still has MILLIONS of those lying around! ::)

Yeah, we need a set with the "classics":

Heroes of the Rebellion:
Cantina Han, Mechanic Chewie, Slave Leia, PotJ Ben, and CommTech Luke

We haven't seen those figures for a whole year! :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2005, 02:36 PM »
In the casual collector's defense (or kids), I'm sure it's nice to walk into WallyWorld and find an OT set that has classic characters in it.

I mean really, it's the only way to find them (outside of ebay).

But we all know that the hard core collectors keep this license alive - that's why they should rethink the Unleashed decision....and listen to the uproar that has erupted over that one.

8)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2005, 03:31 PM »

*weeps* Great idea, bad execution--seemingly Hasbro's mantra in recent times.

2003 Royal Guard? Are they out of their mind? ROTS red--hello? Anybody home?

2003 Palp -- booo!

Commtech Stormie ... meh. VOTC would be better.

Kren Blista-Vanee -- good choice actually. I like this guy. But then, I like all the politician-type figures.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 03:32 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2005, 03:53 PM »
I still think my themed Battle Pack based on the Rancor Keeper is the worst idea they could possibly come up with, but they're doing a fine job of crapping things up with these BPs by themselves it seems.

Hey, let's get even more boring!

-HEROES OF THE REBELLION: OTC Madine, ROTS Mon Mothma, POTF2 Admiral Ackbar, POTF2 Prune Face, and POTF2 Nien Nunb!

-VILLAINS OF THE EMPIRE: Saga Battle Droid (of course it doesn't make sense to us, but it makes perfect sense to Hasbro and the children!), POTF2 Death Star Trooper, POTF2 Sandtrooper, POTF2 Biker Scout (the one from the bike), and POTF2 AT-ST Driver!

-THE MOST POPULAR FIGURES OF ALL TIME: Ach-Med Beq, Ric Olie, the Rancor Keeper, Arena Padme, and the Neimoidian Warrior return!  Sure to fly off shelves (and be kicked across the floor for years to come at KayBee)!

I'm sure, however, that Hasbro will say they can't do any vehicles because "even though we (Hasbro) want to do them, retail just isn't interested."  THAT'S BECAUSE YOU CONTINUE TO MAKE ALL THIS BOXED **** THAT NOBODY WANTS AND RETAIL GETS STUCK WITH IT AND DOESN'T WANT YOU TO BURN THEM WITH SW CRAP FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME!   >:(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2005, 04:10 PM »
DP - thanks for the laugh - I needed it.

But your Heroes of the Rebellion set needs to be tweaked - replace Mon Mothma with Monkey Leia and Madine with Super Buff Lando.

Madine and Mon are too nice of figures to include in the set!

We should have a contest to see who can mock up the worst best Battle Pack.  Images required.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2005, 04:23 PM »
At least it isn't the POTF2 Royal Guards (stumpies)  Saga HAS to be better than that, unless it is a repack...I don't know.

Does our battle pack have to have a scene theme? It shouldn't Hasbro's don't even make sense.

5 Pack: (The Beloved Droids)
-Monkey Face Leia (just cuz)
-R5-D4
-Gonk Droid
-EV-9D9
-R2-D2 (Launching Lightsaber)
who Learned you To spoke!