Author Topic: Target Exclusive Lava Reflection Anakin and Obi-Wan  (Read 30263 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Target Exclusive Lava Reflection Anakin and Obi-Wan
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2005, 01:34 PM »
These are definitely the slowest moving exclusive action figures of the year (the Early Bird kit still holds the record for slowest moving overall exclusive), and I'm wondering if the 13 buck price tag on them is going to end up sinking the whole "overpriced figure in a clamshell" experiment once and for all.   My Target got two cases of the figures (12 of each) and I'd say they've sold one case worth, give or take, of those figures. 

It's also the first time in recent memory that Target (well, my local one anyway) has advertised an exclusive and had it actually be on shelves for anyone to purchase, which I think is great.  I've gone into Target several times this week for one thing or another and every time there have been Lava figures, the Plo Koon JSF, and the Clone Battle Packs sitting on the shelves looking at me (the latter two are, believe it or not, moving better than the Lava figures).

I still like the figures as a novelty thing (they're staying carded for sure), but I will freely admit that the price is WAY too high for them, especially with the rumored "light-up" feature not coming to fruition.  I'm hopeful that the "slow" sales of the Lava figures this time around makes Target reconsider their whole "premium figure" exclusives, and we go back to 5-6 dollars across the board for an action figure.

Honestly, the thing that disturbs me more is that there aren't any Plo Koons on the pegs and/or included with the JSF right now.  But this is neither the time nor thread to discuss that.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2005, 03:01 PM »
These are definitely the slowest moving exclusive action figures of the year (the Early Bird kit still holds the record for slowest moving overall exclusive), and I'm wondering if the 13 buck price tag on them is going to end up sinking the whole "overpriced figure in a clamshell" experiment once and for all.   My Target got two cases of the figures (12 of each) and I'd say they've sold one case worth, give or take, of those figures.

Interesting. I had to go to three different Targets to get a set, the first two actually told me that they had sold out. The third Target had two of each figure left, which I bought.

It's also the first time in recent memory that Target (well, my local one anyway) has advertised an exclusive and had it actually be on shelves for anyone to purchase, which I think is great.  I've gone into Target several times this week for one thing or another and every time there have been Lava figures, the Plo Koon JSF, and the Clone Battle Packs sitting on the shelves looking at me (the latter two are, believe it or not, moving better than the Lava figures).

I still have yet to see either of those two exclusives at the Target's that I hit up on a regular basis. "If it's in the flyer, look at it there, and don't expect to see it in person" must be my Target's motto.

I still like the figures as a novelty thing (they're staying carded for sure), but I will freely admit that the price is WAY too high for them, especially with the rumored "light-up" feature not coming to fruition.  I'm hopeful that the "slow" sales of the Lava figures this time around makes Target reconsider their whole "premium figure" exclusives, and we go back to 5-6 dollars across the board for an action figure.

Honestly, the thing that disturbs me more is that there aren't any Plo Koons on the pegs and/or included with the JSF right now.  But this is neither the time nor thread to discuss that.

Hurray to that statement. I do like these guys, although I wish they would have used different bodies for them. The #55 Obi-Wan is a 100% improvement over this one, why not use his body? And that Anakin body is just atrocious. But overall, I dig these figures. Did I dig the price? Hell no. But, just like everyone else, I'll continue to pay the premium to keep my collection complete. I don't think it will ever end. As long as people are willing to pay the price, they will keep doing it. Maybe someday, when the last 5% of collectors are still buying stuff, and they decide to make that "Bail Organa in seated position" exclusive for $13, they won't sell more than a few hundred, and that will signify the end of the premium priced figures for Target. But until then, this will continue. No matter how many people complain, the sales are definitely out-weighing complaints at the moment.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2005, 03:28 PM »
I went to four Targets yesterday to try and locate some new figures before the sale was over.  Three of the four had the Lava figures.  One of them had 8 Obis and 6 Anis.  All four had several Plo Koon ships and only 1 had the coruscant attack BP, there were 5 there though.

I might get the lava figures but when I see them at clearance.  I learned my lesson when I bought 3 or 4 clone troopers at 12.99 and then found a dozen of them a month later at 50%.

The Plo Koon I can probably get for 98 cents in a few months.  It is a cool ship but I'm not worried about it selling out.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2005, 08:27 PM »
I went to four Targets yesterday to try and locate some new figures before the sale was over.  Three of the four had the Lava figures.  One of them had 8 Obis and 6 Anis.  All four had several Plo Koon ships and only 1 had the coruscant attack BP, there were 5 there though.

I might get the lava figures but when I see them at clearance.  I learned my lesson when I bought 3 or 4 clone troopers at 12.99 and then found a dozen of them a month later at 50%.

The Plo Koon I can probably get for 98 cents in a few months.  It is a cool ship but I'm not worried about it selling out.

Wow. I wish I lived near the Target you are talking about. I never saw an Exclusive Clone, full priced or not. Not once.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2005, 09:44 PM »
then I probably shouldn't tell you of the morning I counted 36 Target clones on the pegs and didn't even buy one ;D
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2005, 09:53 AM »
then I probably shouldn't tell you of the morning I counted 36 Target clones on the pegs and didn't even buy one ;D

Don't tell me about it either. I'm in the same boat as Jokabofe. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2005, 10:28 AM »

Wow! The most I saw was 12 at one time and they were all gone within 5 minutes of the store opening.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2005, 01:34 AM »
I saw a lot of the Target Clone in my area, actually.  I got mine via DPCI prior to their release, but after their release I saw them at the 3 Target's I hit semi-routinely...  the highest volume store sold fastest, but the lowest volume store had them on the pegs for probably a month before they all finally sold through...  I was surprised.

These Lava figures are like fly dirt though if they're out on the pegs at all even (some still have TIE's in the stock room I see by checking the DPCI, and also are hoarding their Lava figs for some reason!).  The Lava figures I saw the other day though...  man, that was a lot, and they were there the next time I was down without even one selling.

I hope the Shadow Troop is htat easy to find.  I'd like 4 for a "team". :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77