Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 114912 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #315 on: February 23, 2011, 08:56 PM »
I understand ruiner, but wasn't the Grand Prix a six cylinder (never mind the turbocharger)?  So you're not really comparing all that fairly between a four cylinder Corolla.  If you were talking a four banger Accord/Camry/Altima, then yeah, I'm getting it.  My Altima (98 with 225K miles on it) is still doing about 35 mpg although it's now rusting more than I'd like.  The ride of the Altima is vastly preferable to a Civic/Corolla/Sentra and maybe a Prius.  It depends partly on how big you are though.  Regardless, it's your decision and if that's the case that money is the primary motivation, I get it. 

I will say though the comments floating about this week about $10 figures and $5 gas do make me chuckle.  We've had $10 figures (pre-tax) since POTJ and it didn't really impact anyone here.  Not to say that I wasn't envious of the US 'bargains'.  Same goes for $5 gas, yep, it's steep, but in Canada we've been above $6 and we've been at $4 and haven't really been lower than that by much (maybe $3.70) since '08 anyway.  But I guess we're just used to being bent over more than y'all are.  Europe is much worse I believe though maybe we caught up. 

I do wish speculation and retarded media reports didn't play such a role though.  Yeah, Libya's in revolution and we're losing their production, but Saudi Arabia provided assurances they'd increase production to offset that.  It's in most of the media reports, but nope, media don't bother with that.  Should be a ho-hum moment from a price standpoint locally but the media feeds the frenzy.  Yippee!

If it's a great deal, go for it (not that you're looking for my approval anyway).  Being used sure as hell wouldn't affect me, I haven't bought a new car since 1986 and there's no point because my mileage, like yours, will instantly devalue the vehicle.  Right now I'm kind of lazily looking for a 98 Altima with low mileage, something around 100K that's been driven by a little old lady.  If I can find that I've got lots of spare parts out of the car I'm driving right now.  I couldn't get $500 for my car locally right now but there's probably $3000 of spare parts to it if I had another same model year car.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 28, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Bought it.  Love it.

Averaged 42 mpg on the first half tank bladder.

It's not fast by any means but it gets me to work at almost half the cost.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:44 PM by ruiner »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 28, 2011, 06:51 PM »
That's cool.  As long as you don't get shot for going slow on an on-ramp or crushed by a rampaging truck you should be quite happy.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Okay, I've got to bitch here...

Some assclown tried to steal my truck yesterday while I was in class.  He busted the ignition and then I'm guessing couldn't do the deed, so he took the stereo.  That's the second time in the past month my stereo was stolen.  This is the fourth time in the past five years my truck has been broken into. 

So now I'm trying to decide if I really want a new car now because I'm tired of this.  I'm in a debate now about an FJ Cruiser vs Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  The FJ has more power (which is important to me) but the Jeep is just plain cool but has a really bitch motor in it.  I'm planning to buy used as I don't want to get hit with that first two years depreciation.  What say you guys who have any real experience with either of those?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #319 on: March 25, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I've driven an FJ Cruier (friend has one), and it's not bad.

I don't have a wrangler, but I do have a 2010 Jeep Liberty and it's very nice.  Good engine and lots of storage/cargo space.  Plus it's better insulated than a Wrangler.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #320 on: March 25, 2011, 03:39 PM »
If you're tired of your car getting broken into I'd advise against a Wrangler then. :)

Wranglers are nice though, and hold their value...  They are a crummy ride for any distance, but when the blizzard ripped through here last winter, I didn't even plow the driveway, I just tore out with that thing first. :)  I suggest picking up a wider tire though too.  Stock, I'm not fond of.

I'm changing the manifold on my gf's this weekend actually though...  It's a 98, 113k...  She's going to I believe be giving me the vehicle when she has her truck paid off, and I'll gladly take it.  The frame's ok, but needs to be protected or it won't be ok forever.  Still, it's a neat little vehicle.  Fun to drive, but I rode to Chicago in one with my buddy to see our friend who was going to college out there, and it was a really not fun trip...  First because Northern Ohio/Indiana blow, but second because Jeeps really aren't smooth rides.  They have stiff suspensions.  I hear the 4-door ones are a little better though, and obviously they're less prone to tipping and things.

Easiest things in the world to break into though.  Actually you're further ahead leaving it unlocked, or someone may just slice your top open to hop in it to get at what they want.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:45 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 25, 2011, 04:13 PM »
I should clarify that I'm looking for the three piece hard top.  I'm just not a fan of the soft top and I don't know why, I just simply don't like it.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2011, 05:00 PM »
What the hell - don't you drive an older F-150? 

Where do you live, Detroit?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2011, 06:02 PM »
What the hell - don't you drive an older F-150? 

Where do you live, Detroit?

Yep, 2000 F150 4x4.  I live in the Dallas area.

But, that particular body style has a very easy door lock to break.  All you need is a screw driver and some force to pop the lock.  The cop that took my report told me that three other F150s had been hit in the same area as mine on the same day.  The assclowns managed to steal one of them.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Isn't it the law to drive a F150 in Dallas?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2011, 10:04 PM »
You would think.  There are a ton of them here.

Not that I mind, it's a great truck and I never regretted buying it...except it has a big freakin' target on it now.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2011, 02:19 AM »
F150 is the finest truck I've ever driven, every year of it I ever drove.  My old man bought a 99 Dakota, and I cannot stand that thing if I ever have to borrow it off him. 

Every vehicle can pretty much be broken into, so believe me it's not just your truck Chris, but that royally sucks.  the 3-piece hardtop sounds interesting.  It's probably a bit warmer in any colder weather you'd encounter, but I feel sure the suspension still makes it a less than comfy ride...  But definitely easier to secure.

My gf's is a 98, and people can just unzip the top, so basically you either lock stuff in the console or you don't leave it with much in it ever...  Generally people leave it alone though.  My buddy's old one had someone cut the top to get in though, and they stole everything (worthless **** even), but left only copper coins...  I mean theyt ook the time to pick out the silver and leave the copper.  Too funny.  They took his Satelite Radio mount, without the radio there...  It's useless, but they took it. 

I love that Jeep though Chris, and like I said, they hold resell value...  Tons of customization you can do to it (I'd avoid psising with lifts and stuff.  People don't know what they're doing with those but do them anyway and then they're all over the road ::) ), they're incredibly durable...  I know weathers not a big problem for you, but like I said, during the blizzard here last year I was tearing around in the Jeep while other people's trucks and SUV's were stuck.  My neighbor at my gf's place has a Humvee and we were the only two buzzing around like jackasses.  :)

I have it at my house right now...  I have to change the manifold because it has cracked now for a 2nd time, but I guess it's the material these were made out of.  I got a better one this time I believe, and it should be much more durable.

If you buy used, get under it and check the skid plate for gouges...  I passed on 3 Jeeps before I got her what she wanted because of gouged skid plates from people taking them off road and rock climbing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Chris

Get the Jeep!  I got one in December and it rocks.  The 3 Piece "Freedom" top takes about 20 minutes to get off though.

This is not mine but exactly what it looks like.

The Sahara package (while not as Rugged and Pimp as the Rubicon) had a better feel on the road where I will spend most of the time in it for the first 3 years of it's life with me.  

The only thing I would change is I would have gotten the "Dual" top instead of just the "3 piece Freedom top".

I love the fact it is the same color all over.  Jeeps are very much like a Harley though, because I find myself wanting to customize it with badges and things and a brush guard/winch, light covers and lift kit and safari roof rack, snorkel and if possible an MG cupola (but only if they can color match the armor)

The thing I notice most in it is at highway speeds you really notice that you are driving something with a vertical windshield.  I have a gruelling 5 mile commute so it is not a major thing.

F150's must be a Dallas thing, we are Silverado folks over here in Ft. Worth.

I don't know what the national numbers are but I know Pick Ups are the most stolen vehicles in N. Texas.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:49 AM by Paul »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Paul, what's the acceleration like?  I know its got a small motor, but can you jam the peddle and get some kick to it?  Part of me wants to wait for the 2012 model with the pentastar 280hp motor.  But I don't like buying new cars.  Like you, I only have a five mile roundtrip ride to work.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2011, 03:01 PM »
It is peppy "enough", but I would wait for More HP.