Author Topic: 2010 Target Geonosis Arena Showdown 2-Packs  (Read 66450 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: 2010 Target Geonosis Arena Showdown 2-Packs
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Overall it seems that all of the Target exclusives seem to have moved slow. As of last week I can still find everyone with no problems. I am surprised how bad these sets flopped even at $10. Overall, I really liked the series as it gave us a lot of losers we would have never had plus it gave us a new Battle Droid sculpt and great repaints of Geo's.

I do think they could have overhauled Shaak Ti better instead of tooling up a new R2. That was a waste of tooling along with the hard to see it's new Obi-Wan head.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I think another reason these new ones are sitting is that at first glance the general public wouldn't really notice there is anything new on the shelves. I bet if they would have changed the packaging they (the new ones) might've moved faster.

I think you are right, when Hasbro is all about new packaging for new product, and didn't do so here, I think it hurt these somewhat... I also think these sets were a bit boring with the character selections too though.  I think some other theme would have been better for 2-pks... perhaps Jedi vs. Sith duels or something of that nature.

Darth Sidious vs. Yoda
Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker
Darth Maul vs. Obi Wan Kenobi
Count Dooku vs. Anakin Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker vs. Asajj Ventress
General Grievous vs. Obi Wan Kenobi

I think parents at least would gobble those up for kids, especially when priced at the $10 each sale.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Around my area, they're picked over, but not moving great.  The human Jedi, Rodian, Shaak Ti, and of course 3PO/R2 are either gone or scarce...  Ani, Obi, and the like, are hanging about.  I like the Anakin so I'm hoping for a clearance to nab a couple of him. 

Is Obi-Wan different?  If so, what am I missing there?  He seems like a repack to me and I thought the eyes were kind of poor paint aps.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Obi Wan has a new headsculpt, ruined by the horrible paint job.  But the paint job on the outfit is much improved from the first release.  Worth picking up. 

It's the same story here.  The Target exclusives are well picked over, but the stragglers (TIE Fighter, Defense of Hoth, Cad Bane two pack, battle packs) straggle.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2010, 07:57 PM »
It's the same story here.  The Target exclusives are well picked over, but the stragglers (TIE Fighter, Defense of Hoth, Cad Bane two pack, battle packs) straggle.

My Target removed all of the SW exclusives from the endcap and replaced everything with a bunch of board games.  Hope to see them return on clearance status in the coming weeks....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46 PM »
My Target removed all of the SW exclusives from the endcap and replaced everything with a bunch of board games.  Hope to see them return on clearance status in the coming weeks....

Oh, no!! :o Really? Gosh darn it, I hope not, I haven't picked up the other few sets that I wanted. I think the 1st wave was lame in comparison to this wave, but I honestly wonder why these sets aren't moving. I doubt Hasbro will make a wave 3.

I hope that, instead, Hasbro does 2-packs based off of EU comic books. Like a CP, without a comic. Like someone above said, Asajj vs. Anakin, maybe a Durge vs. Obi-Wan...

"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 1, 2010, 05:35 PM »
I was gonna pick-up Shaak-Ti vs. Geonosian, but the dislike her eyes and one side of her chin was always mangled from the molding process or whatever.

I wanted the Obi-Wan/Super Battle Droid pack for the droid, since I'd be willing bet money the AOTC wave Super Battle Droid is the same one they've been reshipping in Legends for 3 years.

But they aren't $10 anymore, IIRC. I haven't been to Target in weeks.

In a perfect world, the next exclusives like this would be Battle of Sarlacc Pit (Carkoon?) 2-packs. Instead, repacked figures in vintage 3-pack packaging.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: December 1, 2010, 09:44 PM »
My stores had them for $9.99 with shelf tags, scockery.  Might want to stop if you can.

Was at Target tonight that I don't frequent often and they had been really picked over on those sets.  I'm surprised.  More than any other store.  No Rodians, no Shaak Ti, no R2/3PO (obviously), no Anakin, and none of the human...  Only Obi-Wan and Wave 1 sets.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26 AM »
I got the Shaak Ti set (my most-wanted of the wave) and I'm definitely having mixed reactions. I don't understand why people don't like the Shaak Ti sculpt very much, it's alright, although it's very hard to pose her arms, but I hate the colors used on her. Her shirt is much too dark, and her eyes shouldn't be all-black. The silver lips don't really help her face very much, and the paint job on her horns are very sloppy on my sample.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2010, 02:32 AM »
I liked her, but I'm to the point I'd really like seeing her feet redone so they're poseable.  My Ti's falling over easily.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I liked her, but I'm to the point I'd really like seeing her feet redone so they're poseable.  My Ti's falling over easily.

Yeah, same here. The ROTS version had the help of a pack-in stand, but this version doesn't have one.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2011, 02:55 AM »
Can anyone tell me what version the R2 is?  I'm assuming he's a repaint of some previous release, but having trouble tracking down what that is.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2011, 03:18 AM »
the R2's actually fairly new Jesse...  at least I'm pretty sure it's a retooled older figure.  I know it's based on something older, as it features an opening back door panel for the cord to attach to 3PO's head, but it also has an opening front left (tall) panel door with a tool arm that pops out.

The date stamp on his foot is 2004... I 'm kind of tied up or I'd look more into what figure he's based on, but I'm 99% sure this figure was fairly new himself.

I know I was most pleased with this set...  It was the true winner of that wave, and sold out first here.  I'm guessing some of it is VOTC R2.  The head turns and winds the rope back into the body.  It's pretty neat, nice deco...  It has a clear lightpipe however, which is odd.  Its dusty red spray on the feet makes it uniquely Geonosian though.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2011, 05:01 AM »
These sets are going for $30 over here in the Uk, so I only picked up the set with the Droids. The other packs just seemed to have really rough looking paint apps.

This was over a month ago, there's a real dearth over here at the moment. I've bought four figures total and we're a quarter of the way through the year... it feels damn strange.

The last wave we had in store was ROTJ but I only saw it once and then it vanished.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 1, 2011, 12:09 AM »
I'm guessing some of it is VOTC R2.  The head turns and winds the rope back into the body.  It's pretty neat, nice deco...  It has a clear lightpipe however, which is odd.  Its dusty red spray on the feet makes it uniquely Geonosian though.

Thanks for the info JJ!  It's pretty cool that the head winds the rope in, I'm definitely going to track this one down.