Author Topic: SDCC 2012  (Read 42520 times)

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2012
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2012, 04:26 PM »
I would say the lack of Wal-Mart exclusives means they either didn't want any because DTF wasn't as good as they hoped or they are waiting to show a new line of DTF for AOTC3D at CIV.

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2012, 04:39 PM »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:39 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43 PM »
I can totally skip Jocasta Nu.

So what about that Yoda themed packaging...Movie Heroes?

Was droid factory the supposed new 3 3/4" segment?

Maul pack december release...yeesh...

Where's that dumb new vehicle construction line or did they wise up and #%$% can it before release?

New 12" figures....they love to waste tooling...what, someone saw Gentle Giant's 12" retro stuff had a following, so let's make prequel stuff like that for mass release.

With vintage going away, hopes for reissues of hard to find vintage releases go with them. No echo bases troopers for me!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2012, 04:50 PM »
New 12" figures....they love to waste tooling...what, someone saw Gentle Giant's 12" retro stuff had a following, so let's make prequel stuff like that for mass release.

Oh yeah, that has a "me too!" cash grab written all over it based on how well GG is doing with the Kenner stuff.  They'll probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than the GG 12"ers, but I can't see these really being all that popular with the folks who are buying the GG Kenner versions.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2012, 04:55 PM »
That's something I was wondering about, is Droid Factory the only line for 2013?  That's fine with me (although sad for CW, if that's done), as I've always hoped for a consolidation of things.  If so, that means approx. 40 figures for 2013, which feels about right I think.  Plenty AOTC heavy (so I guess they must be moving forward with AOTC 3D, although they haven't announced it yet), but that is expected.  Not a ton of stuff shown, but we do have more shows coming up too.

As for what we did see, it all looks pretty good.  I'm happy to see BAD come back (especially if TVC does need to go away).  The figures shown look very nice, and I'll likely pick up most to all of them, but this really did sort of feel like been there done that.  Again, they look great, but for the basic line is there a single character we hadn't already gotten a pretty decent version of before?  These are better, and I can understand the focus on AOTC, but I guess there wasn't any basic figures in particular that made me go "finally, can't wait for that one".  That said, I usually try to stay positive about this stuff, so I am looking forward to them.  I do hope we're not in for another Movie Heroes line alongside this though.  I think Star Wars could use a simpler approach, and if this is it for the year, that is ok with me.  Surprised no one at the Q and A asked about the fate of CW or MH, etc. though.

As far as exclusives, those are pretty great I think.  I'm already going to have to ask for help with those K-Mart two packs, as we really don't have one in the area here and they look spiffy.  I can't wait for that Speeder Bike, as well as the TRU packs we saw awhile back.  I'm not a boxed collector, but I'm stupid enough to at least have a passing thought about picking up another Falcon just for that box.  I won't most likely (can't afford it/space), but I'm at least tempted.  What happened to the rumored Slave 1?  Maybe more to announce later at other cons, but if that is indeed coming too, TRU is getting a landslide of SW for the holidays this year (multi packs, Speeder Bike, Falcon, AT-AT, and possibly Slave 1).  That's a lot of "big" stuff.  Weird that the MTT wasn't shown, although I guess they are looking ahead more with that presentation.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2012, 04:59 PM »
I think repacking HTF will continue.  No reason not to think that way...  They love to fill a wave out like that if they can.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Hopefully. Wave 1 will be solid "new" figures, though. 

Movie Heroes  or some equivalent has to be returning...there's some AOTC stuff in those BAD  waves, but they'll still milk it more. They'll want a basic phase 1 clone back on pegs, along with Jango Fett, Yoda, super battle droid, destroyer droid, Obi-Wan...

Also, reissued vehicles.

Lot more to reveal for 2013, even if it's not great stuff.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2012, 05:22 PM »
I really can't believe there's more sandtroopers and clones coming out...WTF?

And I can't really support that Brian's Toys exclusive. Those guys are scalpers, and I won't give them my money.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Yeah, these are nice, but theres not really a lot here that screams WOW to me. I don't really see anything new here, a lot of redoes that had a version not all that long ago, and lots of trooper repaints. Kind of ho hum, but the new droids are definitely nice. Here's hoping they're saving somthing nice for C6, I'm really hoping for a new Cantina dude or two, and maybe a Jabba goon. Maybe wave 3. The exclusives however are all rather excellent, especially the Ewok hoards.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2012, 06:14 PM »
So Movie Heroes AND Clone Wars are both continuing...

Wonder what these lines will ultimately have?  They didn't even make the slideshow at all.  You'd think as a line presentation you'd slip in at least that they're continuing.  We got confirmation from Hasbro though that neither is going away.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2012, 08:18 PM »
When are the site Q and As?  Seems to me that there are lots of questions that could have been asked and were not.  Especially about MH and CW, CW more from my perspective.  I wonder if they are going to squeeze in another Vintage assortment at the end to get those hard to find figs out.  Seems like a lot of retail space to fill between now and Spring 2013.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2012, 08:50 PM »
So Movie Heroes AND Clone Wars are both continuing...

Wonder what these lines will ultimately have?  They didn't even make the slideshow at all.  You'd think as a line presentation you'd slip in at least that they're continuing.  We got confirmation from Hasbro though that neither is going away.

Although that is good for CW, it is sort of disappointing that we're going to see the continued deluge of SW stuff at retail.  I really feel like it is starting to hurt the line (although the figure choices have a lot to do with that too).  I was hoping BAD would be "the" line in 2013, weird that they didn't even have a slide for CW or MH.  It makes sense though, since with the AOTC push it would be weird not to see Jango, Obi-Wan, Dooku, etc.  In a year of strange moves, the presentation at SDCC seems like yet another one.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2012, 09:01 PM »
So I found Tarkin last week and I had this moment. I kind of felt like, 'Wow! What more do I really want?'

The only thing I ever really wanted that I don't have after 30 years are the Ewoks that jack the AT-ST and here they are. I saw them and I had another moment. 'Done.' If it ended tomorrow, or even if it didn't, there's very little else to keep me engaged. The Droid Factory stuff is nice, but it's clear that CW is evaporating into this line, and what we are getting is largely revisiting old ground. There's no 'new' and that is a problem for SW as a whole. I doubt I will ever abandon it completely (there's always something) but I think I am stepping away at the end of the year.

Anyone else feel this way?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I'll say that the average wave of vintage had more "gotta have it" figures than either of the announced Droid Factory waves.

I see getting Padme and Biker scout if it's actually new...which it don't look like. Maybe the Geonosian if they made a new head.

Wave 2, Mara Jade if she's good...uh...Biggs if he's good (not another Luke body). A-Wing pilot if its the Sullastan (or that old woman...haw!).

20 figures + 4 BADS, the only one on my wishlist is FA-4...

Price also has a lot to do with that. I like BAD's, but I think I completed like 2 during its original run. The rest were franken-droids.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2012, 10:22 PM »
This is the bad thing about B-A-D.  If you don't want half of the figures to get the damn droid it sucks.  Or in this case I wonder if I will ever see the entire wave to even have a shot at getting them to begin with.  Luckily I can live without the droids they have shown so far.