Author Topic: Dusty Trail Toys new "Wild West" Line  (Read 15517 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Dusty Trail Toys new "Wild West" Line
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 09:40 PM »
Paul, you rock dude.  Thanks!  I'm gonna show those off at FFURG for custom fodder.

From my estimation (I borrowed them and lightened them up to see articulation and break points), I can see some really 21st Cent. Toys-ish articulation there.  Possibly as heavily done as the Paratroopers were.

I think the hats may come off...  it's possible.

I may shoot an email over to Dusty Trails too.  Absolutely infriggin'credible here.  :)  Very realistic figures.  I'd be all over these for casting and for just collecting a set...  Customizing some too!

Great stuff!

Some of the stuff the Playmobil line has may be able to be used there too...  They have an older style Colt single-action... 

This could be huge.  I can't see a Cannon and Gatling without troops too.  I hope we see Indians, Cavalry, and more noteable characters from history.  The Doc Holiday's very close in likeness to Val Kilmer's character from Tombstone.

I'm sure as **** glad that Earp doesn't look like the Costner version...  not close to Tombstone's Kurt Russel really either.  Closer to that than Costner though.

Which reminds me...  I'd take some Dances with Wolves characters...  OH!  What about figures based on characters likenesses from Deadwood on HBO?  I could only imagine if they had voice chips that had lines from that show.  Good lord.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 10:10 PM »
 :D Oodles please.

I really am digging the Mexican for some reason. Looks pretty sweet.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 11:51 PM »
After looking closer, their articulation is IDENTICAL to the U.S. Paras...  Right down to the pivoting thigh joint.  The elbow hinge is even identical in design to 21st's style.

Great stuff.

BTW Paul, I think I see pretty clear "gaps" at the hats for removable headgear too man!  REALLY nice sculpts.  Not the slightest bit cartoony or poor quality there.  The whole thing looks like authentic (100%, right down to the tin cup which is sweet) sculpts, tons of articulation...

If the horses suck I'll just be replacing them with better ones in the same scale *cough*PTE*cough*.

Nice pictures man, thanks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 03:03 AM »
All I can say is... damn!

I know it's premature, but if the final products look as good as the protos, I'd like them to expand with pirates, the samurai/shogun era of Japan, and the American colonial period.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 04:05 AM »
I just hope they do more of this to start...  Given smaller companies track records they could clam up all of a sudden.

Colonia soldiers would rock though...  French & Indian war or Revolution?  Get outta town!  Civil War would be my favs though.  Very expansive era, very popular, very diverse line then...

Hell, I wish they'd get into World War two and give 21st and BBI a run for their money there too...  World War I...  Tons of eras I'd love to see covered here.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 07:33 AM »
I could tell I had looked at the page too much when I went to scan the pics and the magazine fell open to that page.

I am more and more leaning towards the hats being removable now that I can get a closer view.

Articulation like the 21stC US Paras would not bother me at all.

Now I'm just wondering what the Driver and Coachgunner look like.  I hope they are as detailed and articulated as the ones we've seen.

And I have to agree with Vator, that Mexican is moving up on my depth chart.

OK I thought about a couple of more "generic" icons from the Wild West...

Prospector/Miner with a Donkey
Railroad Engineer (with of course an Iron Horse)
Bank Clerk
Fur Trapper
Canadian Mountie

I think as long as the characters aren't based directly on a likeness from a movie, figures based on Historical Figures are fair game without licensing requirements.

Ok here is the write up portion...from the article.  Remember this is all from Lee's Toy Review they deserve all the credit since no other toy rag has these anywhere on their radar.

(ok now Jesse stop reading after the first paragraph..there is more info in the last paragraph of something else that could make us both go broke or is it broker, or more broke)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 07:57 AM »
Either way it means I'm needing to whore myself if I plan on affording all this stuff.

Dusty Trails is getting into the game too now?  Thank God someone's willing to pick up the ball because all 21st Century does is play with its ball most of the time by itself... 

Yeah, that was meant to sound perverted too.

Man, this western line has me psyched like you wouldn't believe too.  I may buy this magazine just to have it in-hand.  :)

More war stuff, western stuff, etc...  Now if they jump into other eras we're gonna go nuts too.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 07:34 PM »
I can only imagine what a "Soldier of Fortune" based line would include, but this thread is all about WILD WEST, so I'll keep it on topic.

I snagged one of those "other" brand horses at Dollar General today. So now we'll see.

The articulation of the current figures doesn't look like they lend themselves to straddling a horse, but I'm sure that there is a way.

I think a Buckboard is probably a possibility....

We need to find out some more info on these things, somebody HAS to know somebody who knows somebody....

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 08:53 PM »
30's Chicago gangster and a Crow scout? Cannot wait to see these!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 09:18 PM »
I think there are pictures of the Crow Scout and 30's Gangster on either Action-Figure.com or some other.  They are for Dusty Trails 7in line.  I guess we could assume that since they have done a Johnny Ringo-esque 7in and a Crow Scout is coming that perhaps they will show up in the Wild West line fairly soon enough...but that is a big perhaps.  I mean the research is already there...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 02:15 AM »
Their 7" line isn't anything spectacular Brad...  mostly statues, which I guess have their merits, but to me they're just "eh".

Though, I've now got my curiosity piqued on 3.75" poseable gangsters...

And who wouldn't take those?  :)  I remember as a kid how I always wished the Dick Tracy line was like that...  So they could interact with G.I. Joe, for whatever reason I had concocted in my mind, haha.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2004, 08:50 AM »
The 7inch line has LIMITED articualtion, and by limited I mean maybe 1 shoulder or 1 wrist and the neck.

I bought the Gambler and the US Marshall (and the Pirate).  But Jesse is right, they are more like statues with movable parts.  And I am not much of a Statue person.  None of my stuff is displayed so statues/busts are kinda wasted on me.

It is my hope that this line will have "Legs"...I'd hate for it to suffer the fate of Sixgun Legends from Sideshow...I think the fact that these from Dusty Trail are not in the 1:6 scale market (which oddly seems more crowded than 1:18) will help out.  I don't know how they are marketing them, but surely a retailer/e-tailer will think to advertise them in True West, Wild West, Guns of the Old West, Shoot Magazine, Cowboys and Indians and other magazines as well as with Organizations like Single Action Shooters Society(which has a monthly magazine), Cowboy Hall of Fame, Tombstone Museum. 

Ok you have to cut me some slack, it has been a slow week at the office so I've had some free time to obsess over these things.  Just be glad I don't have any computer skills or you'd all be getting a link to my website devoted to figures that aren't even for sale yet and are squarely in the "prototype" stage.

Here is something I thought about...if they did some background stuff imagine how well that would fit in with dioramas/displays from other lines.

Like:
Cows
dogs
chickens
Whiskey Barrels (ah gotta love rotgut)
Boxes

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2004, 02:36 PM »
 Hell, give me a General Custer. Couldn't you just see the head swap to an Imperial Officer for him?

Oh...if they made some Franco-Prussian war figures. I would die, absolutley f'n die.

When is the target release date again?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2004, 06:07 PM »
nobody has that info yet....just the pics and the little write up. 

Lee's Toy Review did say to stay tuned.....so I'll be the first go get the next issue...

And I think the good Brevet General would be Great, and almost a gurantee for any toy line in that era...

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2004, 12:06 AM »
Here's the link to their site. Not sure if you military buffs are aware of it, but click on the Trail Troopers link on the bottom right for pics of the yet to be released paratroopers.

I'd about pee in my pants if DT's new toyline hinted at in the article are 3-3/4" figures of the new Battlestar Galactica series. (Yeah, I'm not happy about the "re-imagining", and yeah, another company is making 7" figures of the older BSG crew, but toys are another matter, and except for the Cylon, the prototypes of the humans by Joyride Studios suck... and they ain't 3-3/4".)

As for the Wild West figures, there's nothing for me to do but shut up and control my shaking while I wait for these to hit stores.  :-X