Author Topic: NFL 2006-07  (Read 56450 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NFL 2006-07
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 01:30 AM »
It was 104 supposedly...  I don't see much reason to doubt it honestly, I think Roethlisberger's said he felt well enough to play, and in the first half he seemed ok, then the 3rd qtr there was definite signs of fatigue, and the 4th he fell apart...

I think the excuse they didn't HAVE to put pressure on is bull though Slothus, they were passing when they supposedly didn't need to, and I think they knew all it would take it some connections and bam they'd be under by a point.  Bearing in mind the game went 6-0 right down to the wire and the 9-0 score didn't happen till the very end of the game...  I'm not sure of the Jags Coach and his style, but if I'm up only by 2 field goals on a team like the Steelers that DO have an offense that can open up on you at any point, then I'm playing aggressively offensively...  They seemingly had to from my POV, it wasn't like they had a real cushion or anything till the very last minutes of the game.

I bitched about Roethlisberger starting, I bitched even harder about Roethlisberger coming out in the 2nd half though.  I'm a HUGE fan of Ben's no doubt, but I think you have back-ups for this stuff, and you have to rely on them,a nd Batch has proven he's reliable enough...  It's a shame they f'd it up, and it's a double shame that Cowher today tried saying it wasn't "only Ben's fault", which I agree it was also Cowher's for letting him play, but he's saying it was other parts of the team (Ward was obviously off his game, Santonio wasn't playing up to his expectations, the O-Line collapsed around Ben a couple times, etc.). 

These are PROBLEMS, but I think the two that should share 40% each of the blame are Ben for saying he's up to it ALL week, and Cowher for allowing it to happen.

Signed:  A Frustrated Steeler Faithful  (Though I still love this team and this game, irregardless...  I was there in the Brister years, I can take anything! :) )
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 06:05 AM »
Nope, no ripping.  Just gonna bank that info and run with it.

:)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 07:35 AM »
Cowher did correct the media last night and said the temperature was "100.4" not "104".

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 08:19 AM »
Week 3's games

CBS Single game

Fox Double header
Game 1

Game 2
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 10:23 AM »
Cowher did correct the media last night and said the temperature was "100.4" not "104".

Heh.

100.4 is workable and I can see why he'd start then.  Still, an early game in the season, post minor surgery (I wonder if my doctor would recommend me playing contact sports a week or so after an appendectomy?) and Batch coming off a good performance.  Oops.  But thanks, I appreciate my fantasy D getting that shutout. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 11:37 AM »
I think the excuse they didn't HAVE to put pressure on is bull though Slothus, they were passing when they supposedly didn't need to, and I think they knew all it would take it some connections and bam they'd be under by a point.  Bearing in mind the game went 6-0 right down to the wire and the 9-0 score didn't happen till the very end of the game...  I'm not sure of the Jags Coach and his style, but if I'm up only by 2 field goals on a team like the Steelers that DO have an offense that can open up on you at any point, then I'm playing aggressively offensively...  They seemingly had to from my POV, it wasn't like they had a real cushion or anything till the very last minutes of the game.

So, am I reading this right? You're saying that what you think I'm saying is bull however then you say you're not sure of the Jags coach and his coaching style? Which is it? I'm BSing or you're not sure? Well, I can assure you I'm not intentionally BSing--I just write it as I see it. What I've seen from the Jags the last couple of years is that they're pretty confident in their D, they don't get intimidated by 'explosive offenses'(see Colts,Steelers) and have proven they don't mind kicking field goals in games with those teams. I've actually seen quite a few low scoring games involving Jacksonville VS Pittsburgh , Indianapolis. They seem quite adept at getting those opponents to play into their gameplan.

How many times have you seen an NFL game where it's 0-0 through 2 quarters or 1.5 quarters then, from then on there's an offensive explosion? It's like 1 team scores and the other team is now more motivated to score too. All I'm saying is the Jags don't mind kicking field goals as long as their defense is working and they don't have too(not as motivated) score a TD. If they were losing by a score or more then suddenly they're motivated to do more, see?

I'll say this about Jacksonville... If they have a game on TV and I have a choice I'll not watch their game. Thanks to their defense and IMO not-an-exciting offense causes this.

PS:Bubby Brister, heh
I'm still pissed Neil O'donnel got scared and blew the SB versus Dallas.
-I really hate Dallas.. since ever, if my team is not on TV I watch Dallas games just to root against them. I really felt Pitt was owning the second half versus Dallas and had all the momentum when the 'hot dog eater' directed his team to start blitzing every down. I remember Neil's eyes getting bigger and bigger and him throwing the ball short when he still had time to loft a deep ball to burn the blitz but he choked. Dallas' defensive backs knew he would do this(throw short) and completely turned around and stopped waiting for a tasty INT while the receivers ran downfield waiting for the pass that never came..that COULD have came. Especially when Pitts line was picking up those blitzes too ::). I was PISSED.. no amount of shouting at the TV can do anything. They could have 6 SB's at this point if they played it right, oh well >:(.

Did you like 'slash' Jesse?

Sincerely,
The DS

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 11:49 AM »
I'm with Jesse.  Batch looked quite capable in Game 1 throwing 3 TD passes.  Roethlisberger looked afraid to take a hit, was doubling over after some plays, plus he was running the fever, whatever temperature it was. 

I tend to think the Steelers would have scored more than 9 points if Roethlisberger was healthy, they always do.

It's all hypothetical though, nobody can prove it one way or the other.

Bottom line is the Jaguars won.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 12:03 PM »
I do agree that Batch should have been used, I don't think he's gonna throw 3 TD's against Jag defense but I think the Pitt could have gotten at least 13 points with him in there and we'll never know if it would have been enough because I'm sure Jags would have played differently as well (better or worse) is Batch was in.

good point ..we'll never know (let's be clear I wasn't trying to BS anyone though)

The DS

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 09:53 PM »
I didn't say you were full of it or anything Jon, not sure what you meant by that, I'm just saying that the D's I think would've played equally to the game they played, and with Batch in I personally think the scoring for the Steelers would've clicked. 

Ward was blaming himself at times, however I think the plays he blamed himself were more Ben's "off" night than Ward's rustiness, and that had Batch been throwing we'd have seen a vastly different game score-wise...  My $ would've still been with the Steelers either way.  It's all hypothetical though, and means nothing...  Same as the BS last year when every game the Steelers went into everyone said, "well if ____ was in", or "if ____ had not been hurt", the Steelers supposedly wouldn't have won and moved on in the playoffs...  It was just people "thinking out loud" about the moment, but meant jack & **** towards the outcome or how the game is played.

To me, the Steelers made the wrong calls, and they lost the game because of it...  I think Ben out, Batch in (even part of the game) would've meant a different outcome...  The D's played equal and I don't think they'd have shown anything different had a different QB stepped in for Pittsburgh though.  I just think the Steelers O would've produced more and the Jags would've played the same, as it was their style and they played hard.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Rothlisberger isn't going to get his legs back under him by the Steelers playing batch.

He'll be fine - and starting him was the right move even if the result wasn't good for the Steelers.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 02:52 PM »
True Rob, but playing him that soon after surgery was such an obvious mistake, I mean you have to admit it...  He was doubled over after every throw from about the 3rd quarter on.  Where I do agree with you though is I think he played a more decent first half and that he had it going better, but with his fever and the obvious distress he was in in the 2nd half I think he ate it hard and he should've been pulled for Batch in the 2nd half...  I'm on the fence if I'd started Batch but I think I'd at least have played him only half a game and Ben the first half.  I still feel it was the wrong call and cost them.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2006, 11:17 AM »
I'd agree with Rob if it wasn't a conference game. Since it was a conference game though I agree with Jesse and feel it could come back to bite the Steelers in the ass. You can be sure the media will be talking about it too if conference ranking is an issue where the Steelers are concerned come December- They'll point to this decision made on quaterbacking in this game.

-J 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I know this isn't as detailed as my NFL posts normally are, but let me just say that at the half in the Giants/Seahawks game, there isn't a big enough jar of Vaseline to soothe the Giants in this one.  Manning has thrown 3 picks, Burress is fumbling and bumbling all over the field.  Whew.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2006, 01:59 AM »
Steelers had me mother f'ing the screen today...  I couldn't have been much more annoyed at the way they played.  I will say though that I think Roethlisberger actually bounced back compared to last week, and that a lot of the things that reflected poorly on him weren't his fault...

So many dropped passes it wasn't funny, especially with how accurately thrown many of them were.  And the turnovers...  If one thing could be cited today as why they lost, it simply is turnovers...  Just atrocious. 

The D looked fantastic even against Cincy who are a great offensive team, so that was promising...  Despite some issues with pass coverage, which wasn't bad all day it just had some ups and downs, the D looked great.  But my god, the asinine turnovers just killed it, and the Steelers once again blew the game instead of losing because they were the worse team on the field I completely believe.  Onto next week it goes I guess...  Just frustrating as all hell.

Oh and my gf's kids both lost hearbreakers to a team that blew them out earlier in the season, which didn't add much to my weekend.  I was irked all around when it comes to football I guess.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2006, 08:38 AM »
I know this isn't as detailed as my NFL posts normally are, but let me just say that at the half in the Giants/Seahawks game, there isn't a big enough jar of Vaseline to soothe the Giants in this one.  Manning has thrown 3 picks, Burress is fumbling and bumbling all over the field.  Whew.

Yeah ... that was rather ugly.  The Giants managed to drop 27 points on the Seahawks in the 4th quarter, but by that time, it didn't really matter.  If they could find a way to play every quarter of a game the way they play in the 4th quarter, they'd win the Super Bowl.