Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556348 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1020 on: November 10, 2013, 11:07 PM »
Interesting...wonder how the whole Rick/Darryl dynamic is going to play out now.

Good episode and certainly leading up to a good one next week.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 10, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Hershell was the Man in that episode.

Carting off the dead so no one would see them get head stabbed was too risky, though.

2 assault rifles and some ammo take out a lot of walkers...could've been done sooner since the fence situation was waaay out of hand already.

Dogs chewing on that walker's guts in the opening? Black dogs, too...which were an old omen of death.

Talking Dead has become lazy (two of those folks turned walkers had names...Henry and Mr. Jacobson, but Talking Dead couldn't be bothered) and so boring I fell asleep twice and it was still on, I hung out till the end and they showed the clip from next week that was...the same clip from the end credits.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 11, 2013, 06:37 AM »
I don't bother with Talking Dead anymore.  Hardwick is an idiot and not very funny at all.  I DVR so I can get the preview for the next week.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Yeah, Talking Dead needs to go back to 30 minutes, an hour is just too long. By the second half they are just treading water, going over obvious stuff. (OMG, remember when they had "musical guests"?) The guys they had last night were good, but there's only so much you can stretch those conversations out.

So, thus ends the best part of this season. I really, really was hoping they would save the Governor reveal until the last episode before the winter break. I'm not ready to go back there, the show has been SO GOOD without him.

Nothing against the actor, or even the writers really, but the whole Governor thing just sucks the life out of this entire show. The walkers, to me, are a much more compelling adversary. I just hope if nothing else that they decide to wrap this thing up once and for all this season. I absolutely do not want them to pull the Lost - Michael Emerson card and write the dude into the show long term because they think he's such a great actor. People and storylines in this show have a natural shelf life.

Enough looking ahead though. Hershel kicked ass again, Rick and Carl bonded over the slaughterama, and Maggie got to break an axe and shoot out a window! I even found myself liking Lizzie for a second with her gutsy attempt to save Glenn, up to the point where she remembered she was a girl and had to trip and fall down.  ::)

Nothing like getting intibated with a used, blood and vomit-encrusted intibator. Good luck, Glenn! (I was seriously worried for him there at one point)

I think Rick and Darryl will be fine. Darryl will be pissed probably yeah, but as much at Carol as Rick i think. He was the one who said he'd put a bolt in the culprit himself after all. I'm much more curious to see what Tyreese's reaction will be. How pissed is he gonna be that they let her go?

RE: scenes from next week - who on Earth could sleep peacefully in a nylon tent in the zombie apocalypse? That's the best you could do for accommodations over the past 6 months? And where are Tweedledee and Tweedeledum?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08 AM »
Just how long could wildlife that dont live in the ground on in the ground survive. Animals would need rest but these walkers never have to stop

I think that wildlife would actually thrive in this type of scenario.  Less roadkill, less human intervention with their habitats, less hunting, etc... and walkers are generally slow and stupid... smaller animals have to be hard for them to catch.  I can't imagine them often being able to catch rabbits, squirrels, etc.

As for the walkers never having to stop, in the comics there is evidence that eventually they "run out of gas."  I'm a bit behind in the comics to see if this was really explained in much detail. 

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Just how long could wildlife that dont live in the ground on in the ground survive. Animals would need rest but these walkers never have to stop

I think that wildlife would actually thrive in this type of scenario.  Less roadkill, less human intervention with their habitats, less hunting, etc... and walkers are generally slow and stupid... smaller animals have to be hard for them to catch.  I can't imagine them often being able to catch rabbits, squirrels, etc.

As for the walkers never having to stop, in the comics there is evidence that eventually they "run out of gas."  I'm a bit behind in the comics to see if this was really explained in much detail.

I think the walkers would eventually rot away. I'm guessing the consumption of people and/or animals either slows or completely stops the decomposition process, then the rotting either accelerates or resumes as the walkers go without food.

As for wildlife, I think most animals would adapt to walkers being around. Bears and wolves would likely have no problems taking out walkers, while less violent creatures such as deer would just run from them. The domesticated animals would be easy meals though, like Hershel's cows in Season 2.

Nothing like getting intibated with a used, blood and vomit-encrusted intibator. Good luck, Glenn! (I was seriously worried for him there at one point)

I think Rick and Darryl will be fine. Darryl will be pissed probably yeah, but as much at Carol as Rick i think. He was the one who said he'd put a bolt in the culprit himself after all. I'm much more curious to see what Tyreese's reaction will be. How pissed is he gonna be that they let her go?

RE: scenes from next week - who on Earth could sleep peacefully in a nylon tent in the zombie apocalypse? That's the best you could do for accommodations over the past 6 months? And where are Tweedledee and Tweedeledum?

Did Hershel sterilize the breathing device? I thought I saw him holding a bottle of something to clean it, but it could have just been the device. **** moved fast during that scene!

I can't wait for Rick to tell Daryl the news. The redneck hero is going to be so conflicted. I'm sure he'll feel betrayed that it was his good friend who did the killing (similar to his reaction to Bob with the booze) while being pissed at Rick for banishing Carol immediately.

There's a preview on AMC's website for next week that shows Martinez. I'm guessing Shumpert is around as well, but sleeping peacefully in his zombie-proof tent.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 11, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Another really good episode, imho ;)
I like how urgent the situations inside and outside became as Hershel tended to and dispatched the dead while the fence attack was cool to see!
This was a great episode for Maggie/Lauren fans as she was showcased very well - again imho :)
They didn't shy away from talking about Carol, I like how Maggie kept asking Rick about her and I'm glad he didn't mince words or underplay it.
But once Daryl and Tyreese find out Rick cut her loose - all heckdoodle is gonna break loose between those two - IF the reveal of the Gov doesn't force them to deal with another threat instead of having time to fight about Carol.
I'm still very satisfied with the pacing, story telling and character development so far this season!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1027 on: November 11, 2013, 09:07 PM »
I think next week will be an hour long episode about what the Governor and his cronies have been up to since they left.  S those waiting for the Rick/Darryl confrontation will most likely have to wait two weeks.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1028 on: November 12, 2013, 12:48 AM »
It's been pointed out on Talking Dead (and on the show actually) that zombies go into a "hibernation" mode...  Once there's a certain time of inactivity for them, they just basically go to sleep...

And they are starving, though very, very slowly.

I think the dogs were something of foreshadowing of future threats...  Animals would almost inevitably become a problem.

Anyway, I think the episode was great...  My favorite part was really the bonding between Carl and Rick...  Some badassery there.  Though I think the only reason they hadn't gotten to that point yet was they didn't want to use the ammo up...  Carl chucking a new magazine to his old man though, that's some classic stuff.  Carl's one of the best in the camp at this point.

I liked the ending...  I think that solidified who was luring walkers to the fence.

I didn't mind Talking Dead, and frankly I think Hardwick's a great comic...  His show on CC now is pretty great, and he  had a stand-up special this past year that spoke to the nerd community.  I think last week's TD was better than this week, but for some reason this week just didn't have as much to talk about.  I thought the guests were pretty decent again though, but this really was just an episode there wasn't as much to chit chat about.  Sometimes the hour isn't enough, especially when writers or producers are on talking about the things in the show that are either only vaguely implied or not really spoken of at all but which are intended (like the zombies starving, for instance).

I'd like a count of how much fodder is left in the prison at this point...  No clue how many people are still there.

And I agree, I thought Glenn was going out vomiting on the floor.  Glad he got bailed out there, but really they played up the tension well this episode I thought.

And I agree again, I think the Governor's going to be pretty much all of next week's episode with very little of the group.  :-\  Might be interesting I guess, to see his perspective of the time elapsed here. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1029 on: November 12, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Chris Hardwick sucks. If AMC has to have two hours of Walking Dead content every Sunday night, I'd rather they give fifteen more minutes to the show itself and take Talking Dead down to 45. It's ridiculous that they gave that crapfest a full hour.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 12, 2013, 02:27 PM »
I used to really enjoy "Talking Dead", but agree its obnoxious now. I don't remember if that coincided with the switch from 30 to 60, but either way it needs to go back to 30.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1031 on: November 12, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Or you can... you know... not watch it.   :-*

Or watch the first 30 minutes...   8)

I never watch it so I have no complaints.  Make it 6 hours.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 12, 2013, 02:42 PM »

Or watch the first 30 minutes...   8)

I never watch it so I have no complaints.  Make it 6 hours.

You'd think that would make sense, but somehow it doesn't work that way.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1033 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50 PM »
I'd be cool with 45 minutes...  60 is a little much, but the week before last was great I thought, and very interesting conversation...  The week before that, it was dismal, but it's tough not to pin that on Manson completely.

I'd like more insight into the show...  Insider opinion is far more entertaining on TD than watching Marilyn Manson and Jack Osborne's opinions...  Sometimes you get a good guest, like Jerricho, but usually a good guest is Nicoterro or one of the writers or effects guys.  There should be one every episode for it to really be worthwhile.

And Hardwick's funny so eat it.  >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 12, 2013, 03:12 PM »

My general response to the recent controversies about late night talk show hosts.  I suspect most of the complainers never watch Conan or Kimmel.

However, the Talking Dead used to be more engaging. Now, not so much, especially when's there's no show people on.  And this is coming from people who watch it.