Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Line  (Read 212751 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1065 on: May 2, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Wave 8 is an easy pass except for Major Bludd and Snake Eyes, Wave 9 is too keen though to quit just yet :-X

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1066 on: May 3, 2008, 10:57 AM »
I agree about wave 9.  That Hawk is a must have and I will also buy Bazooka and the Snow Serpent.  Probably the others also.  I will probably only buy Bludd and the Tiger Force Flint from wave 8.  Here's hoping they repaint TF Flint in his v1 colors eventually. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1067 on: May 3, 2008, 02:19 PM »
I've not gone "army builder crazy" with Star Wars because I'm primarly a carded collector, but I've been going to town on all of the Cobra Troopers since I broke my rule on this line.  I've probably got 25-30 each of Cobra Troopers/Crimson Guard that I need to find time to crack open.  Guess I've been missing out on all the fun these past 8 years of SW collecting.   It's nice to finally have a line that I like opening and displaying.  :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1068 on: May 4, 2008, 01:49 PM »
I've finally settled on this purchasing scheme: all characters and most vehicles from the 1982 introductory line, and only the most memorable characters (for me) from 1983 (including Gung-Ho and Doc).  I really love the look of Bazooka and Barbecue, and I had those figures when I was a kid (though I was close to leaving the line), so I'm limiting myself to just the beginning when I was most heavily into it.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1069 on: May 4, 2008, 02:12 PM »
A few days late, but I found Wave 7 at Target on the morning of the 1st during the Indy blitz.  For all the stink about the umpteen-million Snake Eyes on the market, this one is definitely the best of the bunch.  I think it's easily the best figure of the wave, too.  All the others in the wave are nice, but Snake Eyes is head and shoulders above the rest.

I'm a little irked at the Viper, though.  I had high expectations for him and while he is generally great, the goggles and the rubber feet really detract from the quality of the figure.  Still, as in the past, it's nice to have a generic Cobra that isn't based on the same CT/CO body.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1070 on: May 4, 2008, 02:42 PM »
I really don't like the Viper either. Every time I try to get a new pose with the arms, the hands pop off.
Spirit and Wild Bill turned out OK but no one will be able to fit his giant Texan ass into any vehicle, and the HISS Driver and Duke are just kinda there, but Snake Eyes really is the winner of the wave.

BTW- I noticed TRU has followed suit with WM and Target and raised their GI Joe basic price to $7.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2008, 03:05 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1071 on: May 4, 2008, 03:22 PM »
BTW- I noticed TRU has followed suit with WM and Target and raised their GI Joe basic price to $7.

Ouch.  Even though I'm not picking up the Indy stuff - it's very depressing to see the price tags for the basic figures.  My first Senior Ranking Officer set at TRU was $13.99, but the other two sets got bumped up to $14.99 by the time I found them.  July 26th is going to really hurt at least on the SW front, and I'm pretty sure we're not done with the price increases.   :-\ 
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1072 on: May 5, 2008, 03:02 AM »
I think I might be done with Star Wars. I can't really justify $8 or more per figure, plus the new MOTU line is coming. Then there's GI Joe and the TF Classics this fall. That and, where am I going to put an AT-TE and 2.5' Falcon?

I wonder if the prices on TFs will be increased or not, but that's a different thread.

I was pretty disappointed to see that price increase, especially since TRU rarely gets any Joes in at all. I doubt that's the only line that had its prices raised, though. I might have to drop the carded line now. That would free up a lot of cash.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1073 on: May 5, 2008, 10:24 AM »
Hey, if you want an up side to the price hike on the GI Joe figures; now SW fans can stop asking Hasbro over and over why GI Joe figures are so much cheaper than SW.

Honestly, though, this bodes ill for Star Wars prices come July.  There's been speculation, even from Hasbro, that prices are going up by as much as $1 per figure (say, $7.99 at TRU/Target) but I'm wondering if it'll be more than that. 

This price hike may be the thing that gets me to cut back on some of the Joe figures.  I thought that I wasn't going to get very far into this line but I've picked up most of the single pack figures to this point and the upcoming waves looked to continue that streak.  I may stop that and just get the handful of characters - if they're made - that I really liked from the vintage days. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1074 on: May 5, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I picked up the Viper, HISS Driver, Snake Eyes, Wild Bill, and Spirit tonight at a local Target.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1075 on: May 6, 2008, 01:43 AM »
Crazy that they are going to have a Matt Trakker figure in this line, although probably no crazier than the Fridge, Sgt Slaughter or Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1076 on: May 6, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Crazy that they are going to have a Matt Trakker figure in this line

Hasbro just released a Transformer named Salvage and it's a homeage to Sanford and Son...Not sure what's going on in Rhode Island.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1077 on: May 6, 2008, 12:02 PM »
I've finally settled on this purchasing scheme: all characters and most vehicles from the 1982 introductory line, and only the most memorable characters (for me) from 1983 (including Gung-Ho and Doc).  I really love the look of Bazooka and Barbecue, and I had those figures when I was a kid (though I was close to leaving the line), so I'm limiting myself to just the beginning when I was most heavily into it.

That's probably what I'm going to have to do. 

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1078 on: May 6, 2008, 01:47 PM »
Yeah, it's kinda tough to make all of these exceptions and limitations to my collecting, Chewie!  For SW: only non-SE OT figures and vehicles, for IJ: only ROTLA and some TOD figures, and the previously mentioned GI Joe ones.  The problem comes about in the grey areas: I had a Spirit and Wild Bill when I was a kid, and they're pretty early in the line, but they just don't look all that military-styled (which they weren't supposed to).  I had a Snow Job on my shelf and just thought he looked way too out of place around the green fatigues joes; yet I loved that figure and the snowmobile when I was a youngun'.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1079 on: May 6, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to go 100% "classic" Joe too.  Pretty much if it doesn't fall in line with the first few comics, then I'm avoiding it... or at least I say I am.